Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Muff modding to the extreme

[ATTACH]3810[/ATTACH]
    Here's an original schematic of a Big Muff. What I want to try is to make a Muff with 4 gain stages and 2 clipping sections with 2 gain controls (possibly ganged pots?) and be able to mod a stock Muff instead of having to build it from scratch. SO, here's what I drew up (more like cut and pasted)

[ATTACH]3811[/ATTACH]
    As you can see, I bypass the tone stack and used the last gain stage (which will be slightly different than the mod schematic) as a clipping stage and use the 3rd gain stage as a buffer instead of as a clipping stage. I did something like this before with great results but not quite in the same fashion, it sounded like a high gain tube amp, very good for Heavy Metal, of course that pedal crapped out on me after fiddling with it too much (ugh)

As for the tone stack I don't think it'd be a good idea to use it late in the circuit because of the volume losses it causes, but I was thinking of using a presence control (pot and capacitor) so there's at least some control over the tone.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by tboy; 12-13-2008, 08:34 PM. Reason: attached images

Any thoughts? Yeah. Not worth your while.

I'm not sure what you expect to achieve. It would seem to me that what you got before was not really a product of the revised gain structure but rather because you omitted the tone section.

You could get the same thing by simply omitting the tonestack and last recovery stage, and simply sticking the 1uf cap and 100k pot on the output/collector of the 2nd clipping stage.

Comment

Working...
    X