Fuzz Face Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzz Face Problem

Hey I bought a kit off of General Guitar Gadgets to build a Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face replica. For some reason, (and I have checked over everything many times...) I am having trouble getting power to my board.

Here are some symptoms,

I make sure I have a good battery, then I place the + side of the voltmeter on the first lead it runs into after the battery (on this one it is on the input jack), then I use the - side of the voltmeter and touch things around the effect pedal. As I would expect (while the effect is turned off), everything, even the wall of the pedal itself reads the 9v battery. I used another fuzz face as a reference and it did the same thing until I turned it on. After I turned the switch on, the board got power and everything worked perfect on it. But then, when I turn the switch on my fuzzface, it still did the same thing that I did while it was switched off. It read the 9v everywhere.

As another test, I placed the - side of the voltmeter at the ground and ran around the effect with the + side of the voltmeter. The only place that it got any reading whatsoever was at that first lead on the input jack.

I don't really know what all this means but I'm thinking some of you guys might have some idea, and help me through this.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Can you post some pictures so we can take a look?

Comment

Fuzz face problem Part duex

I'm working on getting some pictures to upload.

But I have to pretty much recall all the problems illustrated in the first post. I noticed that the two hot terminals on the input jack were reversed. So I switched the two wires going in to those terminals. And now I have a slightly different problem.

Now, I get power to the terminal that the + battery supply is directly connected to UNTIL I plug a guitar cable into the jack. When I plug the guitar cable into the jack, the power is severely drained down to .01v. My board is getting power, just not enough to run the effect. It averages around .16v.

Like I said, I'm gonna try to get some pictures up, but any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

I want to take a look at your wiring. 99% of the time that's were the problem is.

Comment

Fuzz Face Pics

Here a few pics. I hope you can tell what is going on...

Comment

Next time try using differnt color wire, it will be easier to trouble shoot.

Comment

I agree. Different color wire is very helpful. Look at the closeup of the switch. See the lug at the top right corner. Looks like a possible cold solder joint. Reheat that sucker up and make sure the connection is good.

Comment

I would also redo the black wire from the battery clip. Remove it from the board, clean the board with a solder sucker, clip off some wire and resolder,

Check the diode on the lower right hand of the board.

Comment

Yeah, you probably need to go through and check each solder and make sure they are good and clean.

Then double and then triple check your wiring.

Comment

Working...
                  X