Darn choices for multieffects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darn choices for multieffects

Man oh man. I have decided to get a multieffect for on stage so that I can lighten my load and trim down setup time. I happened to see the new boss ME-70, and wow does it look nice. Lots of boss efect sims, plugs right in to the front of my tube amp, but I wish I could fel how it plays. I use a small tube combo, and I have an extra one for practice, and now i am thinking I can take them both and have stereo effects.

So, I was all set, then o start reading about the Tonelab le. It can act as just a stomp box thing by turning off the amps/cabs button as well. With this, it has the tube feel when you play it, or so I heard. This would allow me to still use my amps, just in to the power amp section and still have the tube sound at both stages, and I could even just ude it direct in to my PA, and that would be even less of a load and setup to mess with, even though my little Johnson loredo tube amps don't weigh much anyway. The Tone;ab would give me the felxibility to not even have to use my amps, yet I could still have a tube feel.

Then, I now see the new Dgitech PR1000. This thing has 14 metal switches and also has a loop for my tube amp, but I have never been crazy about digitech amp models. Basically, both the ME-70 and the Digitech rp1000 will force me to use my tube amps if I want tube sound, but the Tonelab will allow me to use just it in to the pA if I want, or for small gigs and such. What kills me is that the ME-70 demo videos sound so good, and the thing has all those boss effects simulations, is also 100 dollars cheaper than the tonelab le.

This is a big decision for me. Even though the ME-70 does have some amp modeling as well from the GT10 and from the legend series amp sim pedals.

I just don't know what to do. I guess the tonelab has the advantage right now because it gives me tube sound whatever I do, it's like carrying around a small tube amp that can use your pA speakers or the power input of the tube amp or amps.

The ME-70 video demos on youtube look incredible, though. Please go to youtube and check these vids out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKbxkPESe0M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfTdD0Le2yE

For $299, how can i pass this incredible unit up, but again, no tube sound, so it would have to be used with my amps, the tnelab allows both, but will the effects sound as good?

Any opinions?

Hi, ok, the first thing I have to say is to never use a video performance made by the company that actually sells the unit. You don't know what amp they're really using with it. You don't know what kind of recording production they've used to make the video. That video sounds like they did WAY more than just use the sounds of the unit. It sounds like that's going through some serious production work. I have owned the GT-6, GT-10, Pod XT Live, Zoom G9.2tt and now the Digitech RP1000. Of all of those, the best sounding unit is the RP1000. I, unfortunately, haven't had a chance to use the ToneLab but I will probably have one by next weekend after I sell the Zoom, which I still have.

Therefore, it looks like it's going to be between the RP1000 and the ToneLab LE after I audition it. I have to have them at home and try them. Listening at the store even for a couple of hours just doesn't do it for me. Then again, I'm slower at dialing in and tweaking so others may be able to judge just by auditioning these units at the store alone. I need days with the thing since I'm limited with time.

I write this because I do believe that with the RP1000, you don't need to carry a tube amp or preamp around. The modeling section is excellent sounding. Even if it doesn't emulate some amp exactly, since none of these do, if it's close or just plain sounds really good then it doesn't matter. The RP1000 is perfect for straight-to-P.A. or straight to a keyboard amp or non-tube guitar amp when using it at home. I use a keyboard combo amp at home or for practice. I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X