Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive. Schematic? Blown Diode? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive. Schematic? Blown Diode? Help!

I bought a Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive on Ebay and it seems as if the pedal is not working. The ac input jack smells like it has been burned. I opened the pedal up and noticed that the diode to the right of the ac input jack in burned up. The circuit board doesnt look melted or anything. Do you think replacing this diode would get this pedal to work? Does anyone know what type of diode this is? or how I could find a schematic for this pedal?

Thanks,
    Tom

Replace it with a 1n4001 or a 1n4148 diode. Make sure the line on the new diode is the same way as the old one. They are polarized.

Comment

Similar situation. . .

I'm in a very similar situation. Same pedal, similar problem. I replaced the diode. Now it powers on, but it won't power off. And the only sound I get is a steady buzz that doesn't change regardless of any setting change or notes from the guitar.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comment

ODB-3 contains S5688G diode used for protection against incorrect polarity
        of applied power supply.
        If it is burned, measure whether it is shorted. In this case for the beginning just remove it.
        The S5688G is a rectifying diode having 1A average current,
        which may be replaced with any diode from 1N4001-1N4007 series.

BTW, the 1N4148 is a small signal diode having 200mA average current.
        1N4001 and 1N4148 are absolutely different.
        Last edited by doctor; 03-09-2011, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.

The old diode was charred and kind of crumbled when I removed it. I replaced it with an N4001 diode as described. I'm pretty sure I got the direction right. I'll have to check if it's shorted.

Comment

Working...
          X