Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DL4 Trouble

Hey all,

I'm new here and a little new to modding pedals but I heard there are quite a few good people on here that may be able to help, so I thought I would try.

Here's the deal, I've been switching LEDs and switches lately on DL4s, I've done about 10 or 12 or so, no problem, (even replaced a MAX887 chip on one). But yesterday I was doing another, got everything switched and plugged it in. No go. Nothing worked, no lights, no sounds. I checked the power supply on my own DL4, worked fine. So I got out the multimeter, traced the power path, everything checks out likes its supposed to. So I put the Original LEDs and switches back in. Still nothing.

This is where it gets really dumb. I take one of the new LEDs that I put in the first DL4 and put it in mine. It doesn't light up BUT the pedal powers up and the tap tempo light comes on like it should. For a second. Then the tempo LED goes out. So I switch the original back in. Now everything lights back up like it should but the DL4 doesn't work. Instead of delay effects all I get out of it when its on is a weird power type/oscillating/high pitched sound that doesn't change no matter what switch you turn on.

What did I eff up? Does anybody have any clue? I'm pretty familair with soldering and electronics and I rechecked each solder joint, checked the polarity of the LEDs, reset the DL4s. Nothing. I'm at a complete loss.

Thanks in advance for any help whatsoever!

Nic

Hi,
    check this thread out :

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t13046/

HTH

Best regards

Bob
    Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Ok. So on the DL4 that powered up but squeeled, I think I traced the problem to the max660. It's output was only 2.5V.

But on the one that didn't power up at all, it gets power from the 887 (3.3V) then on the 660 it gets 5.5V instead 6.6. And following that, the LM3480 gets 4.5V. Would .5V be this big of a problem? I'm not sure where to search for problems from here.

Thanks again for any help and thanks for the link earlier.

Nic

Comment

Hi nic,
        4.5 V can be more than a problem with TTL logics, 'cause they need 5 VDC ( +/- 5% ) to work flawlessly; Also, RAM modules need the supply voltage to be well regulated. I bet once you'll be able to fix your PS section problems, your DL4 will start to operate properly again.

Cheers

Bob
        Last edited by Robert M. Martinelli; 06-15-2009, 04:46 AM.
        Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Working...
        X