Need help with AC128 transistors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with AC128 transistors

I've decided I want to get into pedal building and figured the place to start would be a fuzz face given how simple the circuit is and how easy they are to mod.

I've managed to obtain quite a few AC128 transistors from various suppliers in the hope that I can get a matched set of "good ones" but when they got here I realized I don't know what is what.

How can I tell which lead is C, which is B, and which is E?

What is the best way to test for leakage?

How do I test for "matched sets"

I know quite a bit about valves and tube amps and have built and modified several amps so I know a bit about electronics, it's just that trasistors are a new realm for me. Any help you can give me would be great.

www.geofex.com - Technology of the Fuzz Face
    There is also an article about selecting the "right" transistors.

Connections of the AC128 are E-B-C clockwise when you look at it from the bottom.

Cheers,
    Albert

Comment

The dot or arrow mark is the collector, the centre lead is the base on vintage germaniums.
      Some like OC71 are arranged in a line, AC126 etc. are in a triangle arrangement.
      Last edited by unparalleled; 08-04-2009, 08:43 PM. Reason: additional info.

Comment

Anytime you need to know something about a transistor or IC, all you have to do is google the datasheet.

For the AC128, just google AC128 datasheet.

You will get a bunch of results. Here is one.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data.../493012_DS.pdf

It shows you the pin configuration and a lot more.

Comment

Working...
        X