Effects loop or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects loop or not?

Gents, is it best to use all effects (including my digitech RP200) through the effects loop, or just straight in to the amp (Bugera 333xl-212 combo)? Thanks.

Is it best to pour all my milk on my cereal, or is it best to use it all for making pudding?

There is no right and wrong, there is only what gets results that YOU like.

In general, most prefer time based effects like chorus/flange, reverb/echo, compressor, etc to be after the preamp. In the FX loop then. Most guys feel the overdrive and distortion effects are better in front of the amp. With separate FX units, this is simple.

When you have a multi-effect unit, then you must either split the effects into two groups, assuming your unit allows this, so you can connect part of it before your amp and the other part in your loop. If the FX unit does not have this capability, they you are left with trying it various ways to see what sounds best - compromise.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm with Enzo on this; it depends.

If you are relying on the front end of your amp for your distortion tone (and if it's a Bugera, I'm guessing you are), then anything that might affect the quality of distortion tone produced should go in the effects loop. That generally means all time-based effects like flanger, chorus, delay, reverb (how did compression get in there, Enzo?).

Anything that helps you shape/scuplt the distortion tone, like boosters, overdrives, EQ, compression, envelope-controlled filters, etc., is often best-placed before the preamp stage.

Because it often has very limited bandwidth and definition, I'm a big fan of taking your reverb drive signal from as close to the starting point of the signal path as possible, and then mixing the resulting reverb back in further downstream, after all the effects and gain stages have had their way with the signal, so that it provides a pleasing "wash" in the background. So there is a case where the send is before the preamp, but the receive is after the preamp.

Comment

Compression? I ... squeezed it in there. I won;t ... expand any further.

(Bill Shattner delivery)
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          Compression? I ... squeezed it in there. I won;t ... expand any further.

(Bill Shattner delivery)
          One of the greatest puns I have seen on this forum since its inception in the early 90's. You have my undying respect, sir.

Comment

Working...
          X