Trouble with new ProCo Rat2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with new ProCo Rat2

My old 1980's Rat2's switch broke, a hack who said he could fix it (found an old TurboRat for the switch), screwed it up royal-didn't write down what wire went to what post, lifted some of the tracing off the PCB, burnt a resistor, god knows what else.

So I got a new one. Within a week of use, it started cutting out when switched on. A drop in volume plus a dulling of the tone. A kick to the box or foot jiggle to the switch brings the full output and tone back.

I popped it open and took a look at the guts. First thing I noticed is the 'made in China' label and the cheap looking switch. On closer inspection it appears the solder joints on the switch are all cold soldered (dull gray and a little grainy). I didn't remove the PCB yet but looking from the side, it looks like maybe some cold joints on there too. I removed the old solder on a couple of the switch joints and re soldered nice and shiny. It seems to have helped a bit, might just be wishful thinking.

Anyone else encounter the same problem? Any suggestions on what to do?
    Any help would be great.

Sad to see quality drop so low

Question on tone control too. Clockwise from 12:00 it gets more treble, CC from 12:00 gets more bass. I'm pretty sure I remember my old one working the opposite. It's been awhile. Been doing the computer thing for several years, just getting back into playing live again.
    Last edited by DexVegas; 08-15-2009, 10:18 AM. Reason: Screwed up title
Working...
X