No announcement yet.

tube pedal board buffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

build the ac-coupled CF and use a 240v:12v transformer - I've used them for tube OD pedals and they work great. you just wire them so that you feed the 12v side with a 12vac wall wart then of course you get 240vac out the other side giving around 335vdc unloaded (perfect).
    HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Manic,

Weber makes a tube buffered loop kit, which you might want to consider. You did mention your amp is PTP so I assume it's a home brew of some sort.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/modkits.htm#effects
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
        Manic,

Weber makes a tube buffered loop kit, which you might want to consider. You did mention your amp is PTP so I assume it's a home brew of some sort.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/modkits.htm#effects
        Thanks for that link JoeM

More or less My amp is a single channel BF deluxe with out verb or vibrato.

One of the things I'm concerned about with an FX/ buffered FX loop is that the pedals that dont go in the FX loop i.e. compressor, overdrives and the like wont be "fixed" by a loop/buffer.

I need this buffer to work on ALL My pedals.

with respect C. Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Manic View Post
          Thanks for that link JoeM

More or less My amp is a single channel BF deluxe with out verb or vibrato.

One of the things I'm concerned about with an FX/ buffered FX loop is that the pedals that dont go in the FX loop i.e. compressor, overdrives and the like wont be "fixed" by a loop/buffer.

I need this buffer to work on ALL My pedals.

with respect C. Smith
          Yeah, I see what you mean. Maybe there's a way to put the tube buffer/loop before the amps first stage?
          "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
          - Yogi Berra

Comment

its also worth looking into the input and output buffers in your pedals - they can have a negative impact on your tone (tends to thin it out).
            HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Agreed. Don't tell nobody but the TO-2 blows it away.

If you want dynamics you could remove the diodes, but it will just be a clean boost then ... a damn nice one, but....

You may prefer to get rid of the 470uF cap just before V2 to brighten it up. It's too dull with it, and a bit too bright without it.

Actually, I'm sure a Shawn Lane fan would pay you a lot of dough for an unaltered one.

Comment

Originally posted by Boy Howdy View Post
                Agreed. Don't tell nobody but the TO-2 blows it away.

If you want dynamics you could remove the diodes, but it will just be a clean boost then ... a damn nice one, but....

I have indeed already tried removing the diodes via the 10uf electrolytic.

The tone wasn't anything near flat as far as I could tell...big bass boost, sounded muddy/boomy.
                I immediately returned it to stock and that's the only mod I've tried.

If I try a DIY buff/N/boost in it, I can gut the W-20 leaving all but 3 wire attached.

The input jacks,pots, switch, tube socket W/PC board attached all come out as a complete harness.

The only wires to unsolder are the 2 heater wires and the B+ that attach to the board.

Comment

I'm curious what effects you're using. I've used a number of different pedals over the years and I've always done ok because I use loop switchers to switch fuzz and distortions in and out and then a buffered pedal to send the signal to the backline- usually an old rackmounted delay or tc chorus or something. Which effects are destroying your tone? Did you read the pedalboard article in GP the other year? I don't agree with everything in it but there are some excellent guidelines for getting consistent tones from your pedalboard and amps.

In keeping with your wishes- you could build a simple tube buffer using almost any triode. Perhaps one of the subminiature ones on ebay would make a good choice. If it were my choice I'd use a jfet or a mosfet.

jamie

Comment

Originally posted by imaradiostar View Post
                    Which effects are destroying your tone?
                    Echo Park(sold), any Boss pedal, any DOD pedal. My MXR Carbon Copy too.

My Holy Grail isn't any better either. The buffer that sound even close to decent is the one in My rack mount Chandler Tube Driver, but it blows too.

Did you read the pedalboard article in GP the other year?
                    No I haven't, I would like to though.

Is it online somewhere?

In keeping with your wishes- you could build a simple tube buffer using almost any triode. Perhaps one of the subminiature ones on ebay would make a good choice. If it were my choice I'd use a jfet or a mosfet.

jamie
                    I think a jfet could be My best choice for a solid state device. Any more Im wondering why I would want to subject My tone to any more SS buffers than I have to.

Its just doesn't seem to be conducive to good guitar tone.

I really like the tone of My amp when I plug straight in, but most ppl like to have a few FX? I do.

A delay, reverb, maybe a phaser or chorus and an overdrive or two.

Then again Im getting to where I like the tone and response of My amp on stage and really dont "live" on FX like I used to. Unfortunately a lot of stomp boxes, even when they are off still have buffers in the circuit.

Take My Holy Grail(when tested alone. no other pedals), its true bypass and when its off is sounds like its really gone.

Now on that same Holy Grail, take the level of the verb, turn it down(all the way off) and turn the pedal on and off...

ITS WRECKING THE DRY SIGNAL!

I'm about ready to build a tube/ spring reverb and start using some sort of tape echo, lol, its ridiculous....

Any way, thanks for the info. I would like to read that GP article.

Comment

Oh yeah, that's right, I haven't modded my TD-1. I took the diodes out of my TO-2. It has bass and treble controls, which I do need to dial back to get a natural tone.

I have a DOD Bifet preamp that is not true bypass and I love the sound of its buffer. I think my guitar sounds better with it than without it, but your mileage will, no doubt, vary.

I think really about the best you can hope for is consistency of tone. Even if all your effects were true bypass you'd still alter your tone from all that loading business. AND, as I've discovered, some effects, even very high quality ones, are just doggone bright. There's nothing worse (to me) than going from a dark bypassed, unbuffered sound to a too bright effected sound. Better to be buffered all the time. Then, while your sound will always be on the bright side, at least you can compensate (to some degree) with your amp's tone controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Boy Howdy View Post
                        Oh yeah, that's right, I haven't modded my TD-1. I took the diodes out of my TO-2. It has bass and treble controls, which I do need to dial back to get a natural tone.

I think really about the best you can hope for is consistency of tone. Even if all your effects were true bypass you'd still alter your tone from all that loading business. AND, as I've discovered, some effects, even very high quality ones, are just doggone bright. There's nothing worse (to me) than going from a dark bypassed, unbuffered sound to a too bright effected sound. Better to be buffered all the time. Then, while your sound will always be on the bright side, at least you can compensate (to some degree) with your amp's tone controls.
                        Yup, Your hearing the same things I am. I agree,a full time buffer is easier to keep the tone consistent. After reading the article at Pete Cornish's site about the LB1 I figured out that My best buffer at this point is My Tube Driver, so its the first buffer My signal "sees".
                        It bests the heck out a Boss, DOD or Ibanez buffer, but could for sure stand some improvement in keeping with the guitar > cable > amp tone.

Comment

Have you considered the Sarno Steel Guitar Black Box?

Comment

Since I started using a CF tube buffer things are better. You only need an AY/AU7 and even then you need to drop the level to a trickle. Volume pedals work better too. Fuzz does not so keep that prior. Use one of those mini toroids (or just a larger Antek) for the PS or you'll get hum from the close proximity to the tube, it is a straight forward project - do it!

Comment

Just a suggestion but why not try a common drain JFET circuit and employ a treble bleed tone circuit into it to offset the bright factor? A tube for a buffer seems unnecessary (IMO) as it does not "color" the sound being that it has unity gain... right? But hell, maybe you just want to build a tube buffer and see for yourself, that's the best way to really find out, plus it's fun!

Comment

In my humble opinion, nothing will match the sweet tone of plugging my guitar direct into the head. But, my pedal chain goes: Boss Tu-2 tuner, Boss Tr-2 trmolo, Tonebone Hot British, EH Holy Grail reverb. I have basic essentials on the floor but miss utilizing my vox wah when the time feels right. I completely removed that tonesucker from the front of my distortion box of my pedal board and my ears thank me. The Vox wah wasnt much of a problem with a grainy Marshall, but made my Hiwatt sound neutered and filtered through a dirty sock. The sweet-spot on this wah is the most usable I have used thus-far and there are several wah's currently boasting true bypass etc.., but I realize tone sucking is the nature of the beast when it comes to pedals of the vintage or reissue variety, but now thanks to this thread I have all I need to sort my pedal board out and get back to playing. I unerstand Radial makes a pedal bone to cut noisy pedals from the chain till you need them, but the footprint of pedals keeps growing and soon there will be no
                                room to move on a small stage or practice space.
                                Thanks to all,

ERB
                                Last edited by ERB; 06-11-2010, 06:02 PM. Reason: informed where wah was localted in chain before removing

Comment

Working...
                                X