Envelope Filter Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Envelope Filter Recommendations?

I used a DOD FX25B for years, and it was stolen, along with the rest of my gear.

I need to replace it with something as good or better. I dont like most "auto wahs". I have also tried the Digitech Synth Wah Envelope Filter, and the Dr. Q. Neither fit the bill.

Any suggestions? Unfortunately none of the stores here carry filters so I cant "try before I buy".

Mutron III or RG's "Neutron".
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I've had an MXR Envelope Follower since the late seventies. It was good enough for Stevie Wonder, and a bunch of others.
      Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
      Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

The MXR EF has remained one of my favourites for several decades. I've owned several originals, and currently have several heavily modded clones.

The particular filter sound is not everyone's cup of tea, but I've found it to be one of the most flexible envelope-follower circuits across many different filters. Being able to adjust the attack time allows one to adjust the feel to suit the tune nicely.

Also commendable for this is the Guyatone Wah Rocker, which has adjustable decay (though not adjustable attack).

Comment

Has anyone tried both the Micro Q-Tron and the ModTone Funk Filter? I'd like to note how they compare. Both are in my price range, both sound good but not impressive on the video clips, and the ModTone is smaller-- a plus.

Comment

Poke around and I'm sure you'll find wads of demo soundclips and videos of both.

Comment

I have, but the soundclips are, um, not that great

Comment

Originally posted by mt_spiffy View Post
                I used a DOD FX25B for years, and it was stolen, along with the rest of my gear.

I need to replace it with something as good or better. I dont like most "auto wahs". I have also tried the Digitech Synth Wah Envelope Filter, and the Dr. Q. Neither fit the bill.

Any suggestions? Unfortunately none of the stores here carry filters so I cant "try before I buy".
                I had the Emma Discumbobulator..i only got rid of it because i dont use autowah really...but i now miss it.. that pedal will be a collectors piece in the future. It had terrific dynamics and range.
                YouTube - Emma DiscumBOBulator Envelope Filter Pedal Demo

i'd like to have it again someday.
                Today is a good day.

Comment

I've heard great things about it as well. However it is out of my price range. Too bad.

Comment

How amenable are you to modding your pedals?

I ask because a great many filter pedals can be easily modded with a simple part value change here or there to be more responsive or sound more intense.

Comment

Not against it, but I'd like to think for ~$100 I'd be able to find something that sounds good out of the box.

Any mods on deck for the DOD FX25b?

Comment

mutron III envelope filter

The original Musitronics Mutron III is hard to top. I built one of R.G's Neutron Filters, and it's close to my Mutron, but not quite there. I may get closer with a little tweaking. Originals are a little pricey, so the Neutron would be a good affordable option.

Comment

I cant find anything about the Neutron Filter online. Link? Price?

Thanks!

Comment

Lightly stated, R.G. is one of the big effects guys in the community. The neutron is a DIY solution. Google kicked this out at the first hit, it's probably what you're looking for:

http://www.geofex.com/PCB_layouts/La...neutronpub.pdf
                            -Mike

Comment

Looks really cool, but making it is probably well over my head.

Does anyone offer a kit to put it together?

Comment

Working...
                              X