Snarling Dogs and old EH hot tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snarling Dogs and old EH hot tubes?

Can anyone tell me which Snarling dogs pedal is the clone to the original EH hot tubes from the 1970's?

I read that Neal Schon used the old hot tubes on a peavey mace for recording the Infinity album and I really dig that guitar sound and wanted to try to see if I could get my hands on the pedal to get that sound.

The original EH hot tubes are not to be found any more. Any one owned the old EH hottubes pedal and have comments?
    Thanks

SLO

I have an old Hot Tubes, but haven't fired it up in awhile. I'll check it out tonight...

Comment

The Black Dog and/or Tweedy Dog would be the one. The schematics of the two are virtually identical.

Comment

Hey Mark,
        How ya doin?
        I thought the tweed E. was more tube screamer like? Is it not?

Mark,
        How would you campare the distortion on both these two units? smooth and full sounding or weak, fartsy and ragged? LOL...

SLO

BTW, I remeber you telling me about the movie, Bubba hoe tep, got any more good ones that I can check out?

Thanks

Comment

I owned an old Hot Tubes, and wish I still had it. It sounded fabulous running through an old Bassman head. I think it needs to run into a gritty tube amp to get a good tone. Regarding the Peavey Mace, these were also the amps used by Lynyrd Skynyrd. The first versions had a solid state preamp and tube output stage, later versions were all tube.

Comment

No movies to recommend, sadly. I also can't really say anything about comparisons between the two pedals since I've never used either. I will say, however, that the original Hot Tubes IS the same circuit as one of those two. I just forget which. The old Hot Tubes had a nice "grunt" to it, and was decidedly more of an overdrive than a flat-out fuzz. The kind of pedal thata 1970's Keith Richards could like. Because a 4049 run in that way tends to draw a little more current than usual (though I've run my clone off batteries with no problem at all), the original E-H pedal came with an onboard transformer, in a chassis similar to the Memory Man. The Snarling Dogs clone arrives as a smaller battery-operated pedal with a wallwart jack.

Comment

Working...
            X