Boutique 60's Fuzz Face Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boutique 60's Fuzz Face Problem

I just built the 60's version Fuzz Face off of generalguitargadgets.com but all the pedal does is hum when plugged up.......any suggestions? Maybe where could I start with debugging......i've tested all of the components with a multimeter and they all seem to be ok. The bypass works perfectly and the led turns on and off.

Hopefully, you have used sockets for the transistors. And hopefully you have a meter which will permit you to determine the pinout of the transistors.

It may also be the case that you have:

a) buggered up the switch with too much heat, or
    b) done a poorer job soldering connections than you think.

So, do you have a meter?

Comment

I am rather new to pedal building this being the second pedal that I have built (the other one worked perfectly as soon as I was done) I do have a multi-meter, from what I can tell the germanium transistors are still ok, by turing on my meter and using the diode setting to test them. (the transistors are in sockets, so easy to remove) Im not sure what a pinout is though but I will try my best to find that out. I must say I was thinking maybe the switch was bad but I don't know how to test that other than at this point it switches from bypass (which works) to on (the hum sound) and the led light turns on with it. I will look at the solder joints again when I get home tonight. Thanks

Comment

Ok I just looked up pinout.....I am pretty certain they are PNP transistors using my meter when testing they test the same. one of them is not labeled and the other one is 2n1305 7203b.....they were ordered from small bear electronics and came with a tag that says R3 36K R4 680 R5 11K R6 110K.....I'm not sure how these resistor values relate since I used the generalguitargadgets PCB board and layout or how to apply them if I need to

Comment

The translation of the SB to GGG resistors can be found on this page: Fuzz Faces

While you're at it, this is also very useful info: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/...5_instruct.pdf

Comment

Working...
          X