Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westbury "The Tube" distortion pedal transformer

The Free Information Society - Westbury W20 Electronic Circuit Schematic

I have the Nady version of this pedal and I want to make some changes, but I don't want to modify this one. I'll build a new one instead. But I need some transformer advice.

The transformer in the pedal is pretty small. It measures 1.5" square. I don't know much about transformers. Where can I get one this small? What would I ask for?

Thanks, guys.

As shown on the schematic: 6.3V 300 mA or more, center tapped; 200V 10 mA or more.
    Anyway I don't understand very well why would anybody prefer it over other pedals, since the distortion comes from a pair of diodes, like on countless pedals.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Damned if I know, JMF. Must be something about the diodes in the feedback loop. It just sounds better and more natural (to me) than the SS pedals I've tried. I do hear that tube in there, and the diode effect is somewhat moderated somehow.

edit: That said, it does need some tweaking, IMO. I want to beef up the bottom a bit (larger coupling caps) and cut the treble (tone circuit). I currently have to use an eq between it and the amp.

Thanks for the info. Got any recommended brands or dealers? I don't know where to get one even. Sheesh!
      Last edited by Boy Howdy; 03-15-2010, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
        I don't understand very well why would anybody prefer it over other pedals, since the distortion comes from a pair of diodes, like on countless pedals.
        Since you're building your own, you could always replace the silicon diodes with tube diodes - maybe a 6AL5, or even a 12AX7 wired for diode operation.
        -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Color me intrigued.

Can you elaborate, tboy? Where would I get a lesson (schematic?) on how exactly to do that? Got any links? I'm afraid I am, and will - despite the contradiction - always be, a newbie.

It's been my experience that without diodes there is no compression and/or sustain. Would these act the same as the silicon in that regard?

Comment

Howdy, boy?
            (sorry, I couldn't resist)
            I believe you if you say so.
            I fact, I *always* believe what musicians say about any given sound, although not always agree on what they *think* the reason is.
            Anyway, I guess here the tube preamp response is not flat, at all, and pre-distortion EQ is important.
            Don't know if the second triode clips . Even if it clips a little, it will add something useful.
            I fear (may be mistaken) that increasing pre-distortion bass will add little body and much mush/mud, but test it anyway.
            As usual: post your results, good or bad, we always learn from each other's experiences.
            Good luck.
            EDIT: forgot about the trafos: try all the usual suspects, it's an unusual combination, but somebody *might* have something similar. HV winding is not *that* critical, you can use a lowr voltage one, you can use a 100V one and a doubler.
            Last edited by J M Fahey; 03-15-2010, 09:15 PM. Reason: dead memory cells
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Fuzz box builders are always trying different diode types (germanium, silicon, LED), and combinations of types (like one silicon and one germanium), to get different "flavors" of distortion; no reason to leave tubes out of the mix. You could even put in a switch (or two) to select various types and combinations, including tube.

You can use the two triodes in a 12AX7 as diodes by connecting the grids to the plates (connect pin 1 to pin 2, and pin 6 to pin 7). Power the filaments as you normally would from the 6.3v supply. Connect your two tube diodes back-to-back (pin 3 to pin 6, and pin 8 to pin 1) just as the silicon diodes are in the W20 schematic, and away you go.
              -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

mouser, digikey, mcm, newark,... good luck!

Comment

Sounds easy enough. I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks, tboy.

Comment

Best not believe me too much, JMF, I change my mind like my underwear (what, monthly?).

This TD-1 has a sibling called the TO-2 which is very similar but with tone controls and less gain. I've done some experimentation with the TO-2 and the second stage (with diodes removed) distorts only slightly, but that distinctive tone that I referred to is there with or without the diodes. Sort of a glassy squeak.

I changed the second stage coupling cap on the TO-2 to a .01 which may be a bit too big, but I can dial it back since it has a bass control. I think a .005 would be about right. I think I'll go to a .002 on stage one. If too big it'll be simple enough to change out.

The only change I've made to the TD-1 is to remove that 470p cap before the second stage grid. I hated the blunting effect it had on the treble ... made it muddy, then crunched it back up in the second stage. Ugly.

Comment

Well the transformer is proving to be a PITA. Having trouble finding one that'll work.

I looked at the Matchless Hotbox - they used a hammond 269ex. Some diyers have used 369ex and 369gx. But these range in price from $48-74 and are awfully big for a pedal. Edcor said I might be able to use their xpwr082 EDCOR - XPWR082. What do ya'll think? Can I use that? It's priced right.

A couple more questions:

Can I just use a wall wart? I hate 'em but that may turn out to be my best option.

Do you guys know of any good surplus outlets where I might find something suitable?

What about a DIY tranny? Can I just make my own? Doesn't look like there's all that much to it.
                      Last edited by Boy Howdy; 04-06-2010, 05:30 PM.

Comment

You can use the "Mac Tube" trick, using a small/cheap/available reverse connected 220(or 240)VAC<->12V AC transformer inside the pedal, to get b+ and an *external* 12VAC wall wart which powers filaments *and* the internal inverted transformer.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I've used a 240v-to-12v toroidal tx for a valve OD pedal and it works great. You use a 12vac wall wart into the 240v/12v tx with the 12v serving as the primary - you get approx 240vac out the other end.

With a bridge rectifier to get your DC voltage, you get around 290vdc once you account for losses - perfect for a valve OD pedal.

The toroidal tx's I've used also had 115v taps on the 240v winding, so I get a low voltage option too which gives approx 145v and makes for a softer sounding OD.

I got mine from Rapid in the UK, but I looked last week and they're not stocking them any more
                          HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Interesting ideas, guys. Thanks! But can someone confirm the Edcor? EDCOR - XPWR082
                            It looks like it would work fine. I just want to make sure, since I'm a babe in the woods about some of this stuff.

Comment

It looks VERY good, it's the real deal.
                              Perfect for a preamp with 1 (one) 12A_7 and as many Op Amps as you like.
                              A real find !!
                              If it had a higher 6.3V rating (600mA) it would be even better.
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                              X