Matchless Hot Box transformer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matchless Hot Box transformer ?

Hey guys ,I have two small transformers that I was wondering if they can be used for the Matchless Hot Box? Here are the specs of each transformer;
    First one has Pri 117v, 50/60cps, Sec 6.3 vCT @1.2A.
    Second one has Pri 115v, 60cy, 6A 5vCT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck.

Depends on what you're considering, like using the 6V tranny to supply heaters for the tubes and then connecting the secondary of the 5V tranny to that and using the "primary" for the high voltage supply? Probably. This is deliberate and willful tranny abuse and I'm not responsible for your electrocution and house fire, but I'd try it.

What voltages do you need for the hot box?
    My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

I was considering using only one of the transformers for the hot box. The schematic calls for a 1.5A 250v transformer. I guess I'll not be able to use them eh?

chuck.

Comment

Well you're going to need a heater supply anyway, no matter how you get your B+. The 6.3 will give you that if you happen on a good tranny for the B+ that doesn't have a heater winding.

Still, I'd be inclined to do the bodge thing and get building rather than shopping.
        My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

I'd use the 6.3v/117v tx with the 6.3v winding as the primary and use a 6vac wall wart to run it. With the 117v side wired through a bridge recto, you're looking at B+ of around 150v once loaded.

You could run the heaters directly from the 6vac coming in from the wall wart - I've done this myself and it works a treat.

Job done.
          HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Matchless hotbox in no way needs 250V 1.5A!!
            The voltage is correct, but the current - way too high.
            I used Electro Harmonix 12VAC wall wart and a small tranny from hoffmanamps to make high voltage from 12VAC. It's kind a back to back and heaters from 12VAC.
            Here's the tranny;
            http://www.hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/c...2431_small.jpg
            although it's pretty expensive - 23$

Comment

Working...
            X