Issues with 1979 CryBaby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with 1979 CryBaby

My CB when I turn my 100W Marshall up to 5 is way to BRIGHT and shrill sounding. What can I do.I would like alittle more growl and less "Shaft"wacka waka

Which coil does your pedal have? That era Cry Baby could have a number of different ones, a TDK, a stack of dimes, or a thimble sized one.

In my opinion you can get a better coil or you can add a bypass cap to the first stage transistor and or you can increase the value of the 0.01uf feedback cap.

Comment

It os a SOD with candy cane caps

Comment

I'd start by checking any and all of the caps and also be sure that there are no cold solder joints etc.

With a stack of dimes, I'd bypass the first stage 470 ohm emitter resistor with a 0.01uf cap. Unlike reducing the value of the resistor, this will increase the gain of the stage only in the frequency range that will help to sharpen the focus of the filter. Watch out here, as too high a value and the circuit will oscillate.

I also like to add a 0.0033-0.0047uf cap in parallel to the 0.01 feedback cap. This will give you a little more bottom end to the sweep range.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I have 3, 470 ohm (R) Which one is the emitter(R)? When you bypass do you pull the 470 (R)? and put the .01 cap in its place.Also which .01 cap is the feedback Thanks for your time and help,Don't call me dumbassbob for noth'n

Comment

There should only be one 470 ohm resistor (yellow, violet, brown) on that board. There are two 470K (yellow, violet, yellow) ones. The 470 ohm resistor will be at the lower left side of the board, near the 3.9uF tantalum cap. I don't have a pedal handy, so that's the best I can do until I get one in front of me. Add the bypass cap in parallel with the 470 ohm resistor. I usually solder it to the bottom of the board.

The feedback cap connects the output from the second transistor buffer stage with the input filter of the pedal. There are only two 0.01 caps in there, you want the one that is not connected to the 68K resistor in the input circuit.

Comment

Thanks I am slowly starting to figure some of it out.I guess I am a chicken and think I will wreakmy pedals and amp working on them.Thanks again for your time

Comment

Why don't we start with tuning the rack and pinion gear. Open the pedal and look at the gearing that moves the pot through it's range. Notice that there's a nylon loop holding the rack gear against the pinion and that if you were to loosen that you could move the gear to change the range of the wah treadle. I would suggest using a Sharpie to mark where the gears are now so you don't lose track of where you were.

Push the treadle nose down and use tape or a rubber band to hold it. Loosen the keeper swing the rack away from the pot's gear, turn the pot gear back a notch and resecure the tensioner. Try it. If not enough joy, go another notch.

You my yet end up changing components, but why not start with the mod that doesn't cost any money or take any parts.
                My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

Thanks the first time I made it too bassy,and it lost volume but I got a little closer to what I was looking for. That was a good idea.Then my 1964 Bandmaster that I paid $407. to Kendricks to fix Redplated,Now I have to box it up pay $38. and send it back I only used it for 3 hrs.It did sound good but they just changed the filter caps.It needed alot of TLC.I hope they do it right the 2nd time.

Comment

Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
                    My CB when I turn my 100W Marshall up to 5 is way to BRIGHT and shrill sounding. What can I do.I would like alittle more growl and less "Shaft"wacka waka
                    My candy cane Caps have the leads push throu from being steped on from the bottom plate for so long.Would New caps help it.I don't think anything is really wrong,but would it be quieter..."U under stand the words com'n from my mouth"

Comment

Working...
                    X