Germanium transistors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that AND the nude women.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You have a great web site RG, full of useful stuff. But when people come here and don;t even try the search function here, how can we expect them to actually read another web site TOO?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

notice that the link to R.G.'s article is already given in the 3rd post

Comment

Originally posted by dai h. View Post
          notice that the link to R.G.'s article is already given in the 3rd post
          So it is. Sorry - missed that one.
          Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

ah, well I'm just pointing it out to the original poster who would have gotten better results if he had read the article! (There will probably still be people asking the same questions and running into the "farty gated Fuzz Face build problem", but) I'll (again) attest (from personal experience going through my stash of almost a couple hundred(?)) that the info in the article (and in the Small Bear article) really works. Measure the ones you have, match them up and you will have a FF that works. (And the rest of the stuff too about the specs. being vastly more important than the exact period correct brand, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
              "Technology of the Fuzz Face": it's part of the Technology of... series for effects at geofex.com.

Try as I might, I can't get enough people to go read geofex first. It makes so many forum questions unnecessary.
              That's the one. Yeah, I missed it having been already linked. Must be the lack of naked womens.

The other cause of people not reading and this is a thread ender for me, is the guy who says "I searched and saw that link and it had all this other stuff that doesn't apply to my problem. Why don't you just explain it to me."

Anyway, that's got nothing to do with our OP here. I'll have to remember the proper name to refer people to it. I've got it bookmarked in the three screens long pile of bookmarks I've got relating to pedals, technical info.
              My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

I already GOT pictures of nekkid ladies. I needs more pictures of nekkid organ circuits! Seriously- did anyone else dig the gutshots of those ...er.. trannies..with the neon bulbs behind em? Groovy!

Some advice on "organ donors" Even if those had been Si transistors, the old ones don't have the gain and bandwidth of modern ones, hence they do sound different(read: desirable) - definitely worth harvesting!

+1 for a good read of the Technology of the Fuzz Face. I suspect that adjusting one or two values in the FF circuit will make those Conn transistors come alive!

Comment

the specs. being vastly more important than the exact period correct brand, etc.
                  HEY !!!!!!!!!!! What about Mojo then ???
                  I *know* these are special without any f****** meter or Datasheet.
                  Never before saw a *Black* metallic TO5 case.
                  Now to serious matters: please draw the transistor case, a circle with 3 legs in done in Paint will do, do not forget to draw the tab and state whether it's a top or bottom view, label them, and post the voltage measured across each pair, both ways, with the diode test function.
                  Thanks.
                  PS: those neon lamps were the frequency dividers for each key, talk about a tricky to adjust organ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                    Years ago Antique Electronic Supply (when they had cool stuff) had a box of old transistor 'experimenter' packs. A bag of five or so old Germanium transistors, NPN, with the black case. I bought maybe ten bags. They have made some really good sounding FF clones over the years. I have a few old Tung-sols that have a baby blue case. Yes, they also sound good!

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      Now to serious matters: please draw the transistor case, a circle with 3 legs in done in Paint will do, do not forget to draw the tab and state whether it's a top or bottom view, label them, and post the voltage measured across each pair, both ways, with the diode test function.
                      Thanks.
                      PS: those neon lamps were the frequency dividers for each key, talk about a tricky to adjust organ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      well I have a friend of a friend of a friend who SWEARS his cousin's uncle's roadie worked for Hendrix(THE MAN HIMSELF) and EYE WITNESSED *BULLETT* packaged MULLARD BLACK GLASS HERMETICALLY SEALED SPECIALS MILITARY ISSUE OC44 in his Fuzz FAce and THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT!!!!!

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
                      Years ago Antique Electronic Supply (when they had cool stuff) had a box of old transistor 'experimenter' packs. A bag of five or so old Germanium transistors, NPN, with the black case. I bought maybe ten bags. They have made some really good sounding FF clones over the years. I have a few old Tung-sols that have a baby blue case. Yes, they also sound good!
                      I bought a bunch of those and those were some of the ones I tested when I (finally) got around to testing my stash for leakage and gains and (maybe I had done something to them in the mean time??) if mem. serves they were on the leaky side (or least not the most ideal). I think I had mostly PNP but some NPNs also.

Comment

Working...
                      X