How do you Short a Diode,Resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you Short a Diode,Resistor

I started to do alittle modding on a SD-1 and a DS-1 But on some ideas it said to short it out What do they mean and wont it hurt the rest of the curcuit

OK, maybe I am dumb, but what are SD1 and DS1? A schematic would let us look at your situation.

Short it out means connect one end to the other. IN experiments, that usually meabs a clip wire connected to each end. permanent? Then tack a wire from one end to the other end of it, or replace it with a piece of wire.

Won't it hurt it? Well, hurt what? A diode sitting there without a circuit around it is fine shorted or not. If the diode is a rectifier in the power supply, then certainly shorting it out will cause damage. But what if we have three diodes in series to make a volt and a half voltage drop and we want to reduce that to 1 volt, then shorting across one of the diodes does exactly that.

And without knowing what all these mods might be, perhaps other changes they are making require point A be connected to point B and there is a diode there now that no longer is needed.

It is always about the circuit, not the parts.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Enzo, they are distortion pedals. The diodes to be shorted are likely I guess to be limiters or signal clippiing.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

A Boss SD-1 has 3 diodes (2+1) in the feedback path of an op-amp. Shorting one of the diodes in the path where there are two in series will essentially turn the SD-1 into a TS9...sort of, producing a more compressed sound with somewhat lower output level.

In this instance, "shorting" essentially means bypassing by providing a 0-ohm path to follow, in parallel to the diode. When the electrons have a choice of a zero-ohm straight wire path and a diode, they will pick the wire over the diode every time.

Note that shorting/shunting/bypassing a diode in the path where there is a single such diode (instead of 2) is NOT the sort of thing you want to do. Shorting either diode in your DS-1 will result in no output whatsoever. Shorting the single diode in the clipping circuit of the SD-1 will result in no distortion and fairly low output, since it will convert the clipping stage into a unity-gain stage.

Comment

Shorting

I just really wanted to know what it ment.I have already put a GE in the #3 diode on the SD-1 and changed all the Caps to MF. removed C-6 ect.Same with the DS-1 I put GE inplace of reg. diodes and changed all the Coup and tone caps to metal film panasonicsI just wasnt sure that shorting ment bypass thanks for your time. DAB

Comment

Working...
          X