Vox V847 Reissue Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox V847 Reissue Conversion

I purchased a Vox V847 reissue a month ago and it seems Dunlop is no longer making the Vox V847 Reissues anymore and Vox is now having their own wah made in China (go figure). All SMD and it's not the same circuit along with the input being buffered just like the Dunlop Crybabys.

So I took it upon myself to make another board for mine with the original circuit using plated perf board. I used the "red" Fasel reissue inductor along with 2N5172 transistors.

Tried both the 33K Q resistor along with the 100K McCoy spec Q resistor and I must say I love the McCoy spec so much better. Like the narrow pass band and the much wider sweep it offers.

However I know the McCoys used BC109B transistors. I wonder if there'd be much of a tone difference worth mentioning by swapping those in. I think the Hfe numbers are about the same for both.

Anyone had experience swapping 2N5172s for BC109Bs in a wah circuit? If so, what tonal differences did you notice between the two (if any)? I'm not looking for "better" or "worse" comparisons as that's subjective, but more looking for the actual differences perceived between the two if there are any.
    Jon Wilder
    Wilder Amplification

Originally posted by m-fine
    I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well
    Originally posted by JoeM
    I doubt if any of my favorite players even own a soldering iron.
Working...
X