No announcement yet.

Using a 12v automotive battery pack to power stomp boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the electronics store, I found a $2.00 6 x 1.5 plastic battery clip (don't try and make your own. I put a switch on it, an LED at the 4th cel or so, a fuzz tap at around 4.5V (you could go 3V for sicker fuzzz) and throw it into a true-bypass pedal. Without the LED one might forget to shut it down No ground loops.
    This lasts ages, with general effects. But for digital delays/reverbs, larger batteries might be better.
    I put this into a true-bypass box with a small treble tone cap for too-bright distortions.

Comment

what is a true bypass box?

jamie

Comment

One of the mail order catalogs came in this weekend, and there was a blurb about a Sanyo?, rechargeable supply for pedal boards. Looked the same size as a MXR pedal. The downside would be the $200 price!

Comment

That's the Pedal Juice unit, and yes it comes in between $170 and $200. That may be great if you're a touring pro musician and can spare the expense, but for most basement warriors that's kind of pricey. Hence, all the discussion about NiCad/NiMH options.

Comment

A box that has 4 jacks, and a stompswitch, such that one or more pedals plugged into its send/receive jacks can be completely bypassed mechanically. Just about the simplest and most consistently useful DIY project you can make.

I'll leave out discussion of the relative merits of true bypass vs other forms of switching, and let this thread do what it's supposed to.

Comment

I would pop out and buy an inverter like this perhaps. Changes 12v DC to 230v AC.

4-in-1 Multi Function Power Inverter: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

This is a european one. Dont know what your local voltage is but im sure their available.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
                That's the Pedal Juice unit, and yes it comes in between $170 and $200. That may be great if you're a touring pro musician and can spare the expense, but for most basement warriors that's kind of pricey. Hence, all the discussion about NiCad/NiMH options.
                (oops sorry Steve! I didn't realize it was that expensive. They do seem to be a bit less here though--around USD$150 vs. 97 at Amazon dot com vs. dot jp.)

Comment

Working...
                X