No announcement yet.

Getting pop noise - vox wah mod to true bypass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the only pedal I really need to be true bypass anymore is a fuzz face (or any other pedal that I want to interact with the volume control in the guitar). Most of my effects do just fine without true bypass and I always make sure there is some kind of buffered effect on the pedalboard so that my guitar never has to drive a long run of cable back to an amplifier.

To that effect- I always add a 22k (or similar) resistor between the output of a wah and the output jack. This allows them to play nice with any fuzz face that may be after the wah in the signal path.

jt

Comment

Really only tone sucking old pedals, either with very low input impedance or too high "anti interference" input capacitance, such as those 1000pF added to an MXR Dist+ , benefit from true bypassing, meaning *they* should be away from the signal path when unused, but any properly designed pedal, which starts with a Hi Z unity gain input buffer end only after it switches audio, provides more advantages than disadvantages.
      The only really universal advantage: letting signal through if battery fails, has been addressed above.
      Another unseen problem of true bypass is that they either pop, or if you use a few of them, those 1M anti pop resistors from hot to ground soon add up and load pickups.
      On buffered ones, the instrument "sees" only the first, which, by the way, normally has at least 470K input impedance, if not 1 M.
      jm2c
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
      X