JHS/JSH MKlll 70's Fuzz Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JHS/JSH MKlll 70's Fuzz Box

I have an old JHS or JSH FZlll Fuzz Box from the 70's which has 2 brown wires disconnected. One of the wires is connected from the Input but I don't know where the other end should go, and the other brown wire is connected (with another brown wire that goes to the level pot) both are connected to the circuitboard, ) but again, I don't know where the other end of the brown wire should go.
    I contacted JHS who were extremely helpful, although apparently no one there knew the layout of the pedal. The guy I emailed sent me a wiring diagram but I cannot understand it. Link for diagram is here

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/elect...io/jhsfuzz.pdf

I have also tried to include some pics, but they're not very clear as I don't have a digital camera

What I would ideally like is a coloured diagram showing which wire goes to what part. can anyone help me please?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ichabod Crane; 08-08-2011, 07:53 PM.

Hi I.C. and welcome..

I had a quick look and found some info which may help you.
    Seeing it only has a handful of components it shouldn't be too hard for you to do a bit of tracing.
    I notice there is a different foot switch fitted to yours I presume this is for ye olde "True Bypass".
    The switch isn't shown on the schematic but would connect the in and out sockets together when not in use
    or when in use connect the input socket to the .01 capacitor and the output socket to the centre lug of the
    level or volume control.

Seems like someone else had a similar problem
    Rewiring fuzz box (help!) - Telecaster Guitar Forum

It appears to me also, the brown wires are ground/earth/chassis.
    Where one is connected to the input jack I presume its connected to the lug
    that is crimped to the barrel of the jack that screws onto the case of the pedal
    ie the ground connection!

some pics
    HORNBY SKEWES FUZZ III GUTS 2

HORNBY SKEWES FUZZ III GUTS

This layout diagram also could be an aid
    http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/pcbs/jhsfuzzlayout.gif

There is another pic here scroll down to nearly the bottom of the page
    JHS (JEN) Fuzz FZIII
    The "pedal guts pics" thread. Volume II - Page 21 - The Gear Page

You can see the two brown wires joining near the 10k resistor (Brown,Black Orange)
    which according to the diagram goes to ground while the other end goes to the emitter of transistor Q1
    and another .01 capacitor.

Hope it works out
    O.C.

Comment

Hi O.C. and thank you for your welcome.

Thank you too for your really comprehensive answers and attachments. I'll have a good look tomorrow and will try and fathom it out paying close attention to the links you have included. I had seen the 'telecaster guitar forum' web page too but the other links you sent are all new (even though I spent a couple of hours searching the web! lol)
      I'll let you know how I get on, and many thanks again for your assistance.

Comment

Thank you O.C.I think I've sorted it! Using a combination of your links and various diagrams etc, I joined the 2 brown wires together and soldered them both onto the lug of the 'Attack' pot, as per your description with the Capacitor and transisitor. The pedal works and also to cure the iffy footswitch connection when returning to a 'clean' sound, I just desoldered and resoldered the orange wire.
        Incidentally, I'm not sure if the pedal is true bypass, a mate changed the footswitch for me over 20 years ago when the original plastic one broke. But thank you very much for all your help, I greatly appreciate it.
        Cheers,

Andy

Comment

Working...
        X