Building a signal booster Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a signal booster Need Help

Okay so I've ran into a problem with my guitar rig, I use a qsc power amp and QSC has an input sensitivity and if your signal going into it isn't high enough then the output volume from it will be very low.

My rig is H&K Blues Master > Alesis Nanoverb > QSC GX3 > JBL E120.

But the problem is My nanoverb clips and sounds like shit because i need to turn the output on it as high as i can to get loud enough volume. I heard you can put a little mixer in the chain to boost the signal. but a rackmounted mixer is over kill because i'm only using 1 channel. I'd much rather build something.

Does anyone know something I could make to over come this problem?

What do you get if you do this?
    Use the nanoverb as a pre-amp?
    Alesis Nanoverb >H&K Blues Master > QSC GX3 > JBL E120.

I would think the signal would be strong enough for your power amp then.

jason
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

that doesn't work Right now the NV is being used as reverb and also a boost (buy putting the output all the way up). But because I'm using it as a boost it is clipping and distorting my tone. The NV clips much easier if it's infront of the bluesmaster. People have told me to over come this to buy a small rack mixer. but I really don't want to. I love messing with guitar electronics. so I'd really be into building something. but I just dont know what haha..

Comment

skip the boost use reverb.. plug guitar into nanoverb nanoverb in to the amp then amp into power amp.that should work.
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

If you dare I can post a very simple schematic, but you will have 2 (solvable) problems, it's up to you to decide whether it's worth the pain or not.
          1) You'll need a +/- 15V supply for normal headroom, forget powering it with 9V.
          It means you'll need a power transformer, even if small, (or a 12VAC wall wart), ond
          2) a suitable enclosure which you'll have to drill, label, etc. , *plus*
          3) you'll need a board for it; a PCB if you dare or simpler perfboard construction .

Beyond the $ spent (mail order costs will equal or surpass the parts cost), the delay plus the sweat , maybe buying a small cheap mixer (even a pawnshop or Salvation Army special) does not look as bad.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I've already said that putting it first in the signal doesn't work.

QSC poweramps won't amplify a sound if the signal is too low.

How much would building that cost?

Comment

What input are you using into the QSC amp... the 1/4" jack or the XLR connector? There are different impedances between the two inputs and this could have an effect on your output?

Comment

I'm using the 1/4", I've spoken to other guitarist who use QSC amps. Right now I'm using my nanoverb as a reverb unit aswell as a signal booster. but if I run the output to hot on the NV it overloads and the LED turns red and the sound clips. (Not the good tube clipping either!)

Comment

OK, let me draw and post it.
                  Electronic parts cost is nil, case and PSU cheap, you search for a single supplier so you pay Mail only once.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

okay thanks alot!

Comment

Originally posted by GetDizzy View Post
                      The NV clips much easier if it's infront of the bluesmaster
                      This is extremely strange. It implies to me that the preamp is actually reducing your guitars volume rather than boosting it.
                      Placing the nanoverb between the guitar and the preamp should have been a good solution to the overload problem, I'm totally confused as to your guitar overloading it easier than the preamp output.
                      Do you have active pick-ups?
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Here's a simple booster that runs on 9V but can deliver up to 11Vp-p output:

Glass Blower GTI: Ultimate boost with VU meter!
                        Glass Blower pictures by merlinblencowe - Photobucket

Comment

Wow, that's really cool. Sadly, I'm very confused by it.. I still want to build my own booster, but I don't understand schematics all to well. As well as how do I transfer that to the pcb board?

Comment

It would be a great help if you would measure the Vac of the Nanoverb output, before clipping.
                            A simple Multimeter set on Vac will do fine.
                            Come to think of it, the output of the preamp too.

Comment

Sadly, I'm very confused by it.. I still want to build my own booster, but I don't understand schematics all to well. As well as how do I transfer that to the pcb board?
                              Respectfully, consider buying a cheap mixer instead.
                              Garage sales can supply them at next to nothing prices.
                              PS: nobody needs to know *everything*.
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                              X