Please help me translate a Russian diode spec sheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me translate a Russian diode spec sheet

Hi, first post, I was directed to this , possibly more internationally minded forum by a member of BYOC, where I post regularly.

I've been scouring Russian Ebay and came across these cool looking Ge D2B Diodes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Germanium Diode D2B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	864886

Problem is I'm not able to decipher the spec sheet... Russian is 'all Greek to me'
    Can anyone tell if these would be useful as clippers? ie, which number is the forward voltage drop?

Click image for larger version

Name:	diode specs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	864887

Originally posted by guitarmageddon View Post
    Hi, first post, I was directed to this , possibly more internationally minded forum by a member of BYOC, where I post regularly.

I've been scouring Russian Ebay and came across these cool looking Ge D2B Diodes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16137[/ATTACH]

Problem is I'm not able to decipher the spec sheet... Russian is 'all Greek to me'
    Can anyone tell if these would be useful as clippers? ie, which number is the forward voltage drop?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16138[/ATTACH]
    Hi guitarmageddon,

See translated table.
    I removed one row containing column numbers and added two columns containing color marking.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you so much, you're both a gentleman and a scholar.

Comment

You are new here, so don;t forget to turn the chart upside down for Australia.

Geez, I never get tired of that joke...
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well, Greek should be easy for you, since you live in Eureka !!!!

PS: 1V forward voltage looks high to me (for a Ge diode), *maybe* (I´m only guessing) they state a "safe" "not higher than" value to cover their backs.
          I would measure actual voltage drop, while feeding them, say, 1mA through a suitable resistor.
          Obviously you are not using them to build a power supply but in some kind of distortion circuit.
          jm2c
          Last edited by J M Fahey; 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I don't know why, but I've gotten what are ostensibly germanium diodes, that had voltage drops of 350mv and more. Does anyone, or has anyone, made germanium diodes that were essentially two in series within the same package?

As to whetherdiodes like these are desirable for clipping, ultimately it's going to depend on what sound you are looking for, how much gain you apply, and what sort of input signal amplitude you're looking at.

Comment

I'm taking a punt and have ordered some to try.
              I generally like the 'softer' sound of ge clippers, (slower turn on rate?) so hopefully these will have that characteristic sound, but with less signal loss.
              I will give them a try in my octave gadgets like the green ringer too.

Comment

I was looking at a Ge diode on the curve tracer recently. Probably a 1N34 but has the Tektronix house number 152-0075-00. The forward voltage drop: 0.1V @ 13uA, 0.2V@ 250uA, 0.3V @ 2mA. There is virtually no off zone. It starts conducting right from the zero crossing. In the reverse direction there is a leakage current of 200nA at -0.1V that stays pretty constant.
                WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
                X