Battery holder for CR2032

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery holder for CR2032

I posted this on DIYStompboxes, but I don't know when that will be back...

I've had trouble lately with battery holders for CR2032 batteries - poor mechanics, poor conductivity. I basically want to retrofit some devices that have unreliable battery clips and have something good to work with on future projects. Form factor is not so much an issue as reliability and longevity.

Can anyone recommend a really good battery holder?

Here are a few.
    Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor battery holder cr2032

Comment

Cool - that's where I like to get things when I can. Any recommendations on a reliable one? My problem isn't so much finding one, but finding a good one that won't let me down.

Comment

Not too sure exactly what your concerns are as to a 'good one'.
        One of the clips at Mouser had two spring loaded clips.
        The battery will not fall out
        Call Mouser & ask to talk to a tech.
        Maybe they can allay your concerns.

Comment

good idea re: call mouser

i've had two in mass-produced items i bought crap out on me - metal too soft and not conductive/resistant to corrosion. probably not enough to draw a conclusion from, but it does tell me that there are at least two real POS clips in wide circulation

Comment

OK, imagine you go to a restaurant, and you ask the waiter, which things on your menu are really crappy, and which things are good. DO you really expect him to say, "OH stay away from the fish, it's never fresh here."? I doubt Mouser will tell you "Oh these are junk, but these are wonderful."

Mouser doesn't sell WalMart junk, they sell things they think are worth selling. I have bought any number of coin cell sockets from Mouser and other similar suppliers over the decades, I have never had a bad one. It is hard to even find the cheap junk parts that often go into consumer mass produced things. Brands like Keystone and Eagle have been around a long time, And Mouser will sell a variety of them. I have no reason to think the Keystone ABC123 is made any different from the Keystone XYZ321.

Corrosion resistance. IN my experience, the corrosion around battery holders is almost always from the battery itself. Said battery having been left in the unit long after its death as a battery.

Be happy you are dealing with lithium coin cells and not nicads. How many old things have I opened to find a nicad has spilled its guys all over a board? Too many.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X