Guitar Cord Ohms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Cord Ohms?

I have been going through all my patch and guitar cords.Most run around in the 3-4 ohms,but my old Fender Vintage types run at over 60ohms,are they junk,or can I use them as Eric Johnson tone shapers( I heard he used cheap cords in his rig)

ohms are pretty irrelevant with the amps input impedance +1000 times higher. 60ohms is a bit high, is your meter good? Cable capacitance can mean more, but I graphed all the results from a GP "Cable Shoot Out" of a few years back and capacitance didn't correlate to any of their ratings....

Comment

Meter is good all my other cords were under 5 ohms just the vintage style Fender one I think it came with the first yr EJ strat,I had 2 patch cords that were bad when I twisted the cords for shorts

Comment

60 ohms in series with signal is not that bad , because it will "see" a much higher one on the other end, but high resistance on the ground wire is terrible.
        Ground, by definition, means all points at the same voltage, which also happens to be 0, so it expects to have 0 ohms path resistance as well.
        Physically impossible, but next best is *very* low ohms.
        We often have terrible ground problems in chassis which if measured point to point are (for us) the same as 0, go figure.
        That 60 ohms guitar cord, is it the solderless type which was once popular with Fender?
        In fact, I think they gave them out for free, included in a guitar purchase.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The lower the resistance of the cable, the less noise you will get.
          60 ohms is completely unacceptable, defective.
          (are you kidding me?)

Comment

Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
            I have been going through all my patch and guitar cords.Most run around in the 3-4 ohms,but my old Fender Vintage types run at over 60ohms,are they junk,or can I use them as Eric Johnson tone shapers( I heard he used cheap cords in his rig)
            Does it sound bad with your rig?
            "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
            - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
              Does it sound bad with your rig?
              Its not that it doesn't work it does,but I dont want to load down my rig....I just started to test all my cables and it seemed kid of high,My 15 ft Monster is only 3.4 ohm most of my 1 ft patch cords are about the same,I am going through and getting rid of the bad ones...

Comment

I think that a significant issue with the 60 Ohm reading is that something just isn't right with that cord. The high resistance is an indication that something is getting ready to fail. It will work for now (at least let a signal through) but I would not trust that cord for an important session.
                Last edited by Tom Phillips; 05-29-2012, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Its not that it doesn't work it does,but I dont want to load down my rig....I just started to test all my cables and it seemed kid of high,My 15 ft Monster is only 3.4 ohm most of my 1 ft patch cords are about the same,I am going through and getting rid of the bad ones...
                  Me thinks that you need a better meter.
                  There is no way a 'good' 15' cable can read 3.4 ohms.
                  And the 1' patch cables read the same?
                  Maybe a 1000' cable would read that high.
                  I don't even want to think about that '60 ohm' cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                    What is the reading when you touch the leads to each other?
                    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Are the plugs on the cables that measure 60 ohms a different metal (brass for example)? Are they noisy if you flex them, or intermittent?
                      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                      - Yogi Berra

Comment

*Where* do you measure those 60 ohms?
                        Tip to tip or ground to ground?
                        Also repeat my question: are those the solderless Fender cables?
                        The ones with a tiny screw on the side of the plug?.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Go over the plugs with scotch bright metal polishing pad,
                          then polish the test probes on the ohm meter,
                          what it read now?
                          Tarnish on the plugs or meter probes may prevent you from getting a good reading, BUT
                          If it's over 5 ohms in a 15 foot cord, I would not consider it good anymore. Should be less than that really.
                          60 ohms in a cable with cleaned ends, is pretty poor and I would expect to get a fair 60 cycle hum...

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                            *Where* do you measure those 60 ohms?
                            Tip to tip or ground to ground?
                            Also repeat my question: are those the solderless Fender cables?
                            The ones with a tiny screw on the side of the plug?.
                            YES That is the One...I think it came with the Eric Johnson Strat a few yrs back

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                              And the 1' patch cables read the same?
                              Maybe a 1000' cable would read that high.
                              I don't even want to think about that '60 ohm' cable.
                              Most cables have a tiny Ohm read, 1-4 ohms seems OK If ALL cables had Zero Ohms you wouldn't need buffers

Comment

Working...
                              X