Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What adhesive do you use to attach rubber to pedal case (a la Fuzz Face/Crybaby)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What adhesive do you use to attach rubber to pedal case (a la Fuzz Face/Crybaby)

Hey all-

I need to reattach the rubber pad to a Fuzz Face not the rubber feet but the pad that goes around the on/off switch. The pad is rubber(ish) and the Fuzz Face is paint over a cast aluminum form. Any ideas on what to use. When I look at the old crusty adhesive it appears to still have some rubbery character (a la Rubber Cement).

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Tim

Rubber cement has a bigger brother called COntact Cement. FOund at any hardware store. It sticks to most anything and once stuck, doesn't want to let go. Follow directions. Clean surfaces, apply thin coat to BOTH surfaces, allow to dry to tacky, then press surfaces together. It will stick, no adjusting or moving will be possible, so get it where you want it first try.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      It will stick, no adjusting or moving will be possible, so get it where you want it first try.
      You can use a slip sheet between the parts until you line them up where you want them. A clean dry piece of paper will work as long as the glue has dried on both parts before you try it.

Once the parts are aligned slide the sheet out a little and press the two exposed sections together. That will lock them into position. and then remove the slip sheet entirely and press the parts together.

Comment

No idea where you are, but over here in the Netherlands I absolutely love Bison Tix. This is a Neoprene based adhesive, so probably exactly the same stuff as contact cement.
        Also very good for Tolex and carpet covering speakercabs. If used properly, it sticks instantly, although it is possible to separate stuck objects and/or gently massage them into position for a few minutes (edit: the trick is to work slighly before it dries to tacky - works best with one porous surface such as wood). Wear protection and ventilate well (this stuff really gets into your skin). Acetone clears off any mistakes.

Comment

Just a side note: if you are gluing over a painted surface, avoid acetone and use only the slightest amount of contact cement (which is solvent based), your paint might crack or lift and make for a messy ugly job.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks all. Will use contact cement. Painted surface is clean with Goo gone (citrus based).
            Thanks for all the help!
            Tim

Comment

Mmmmhhhh!! , I bet Goo gone leaves a thin film residue of lemon oil or similar.
              I'd lightly swab the adhesion area with a Q Tip just humid with a couple drops alcohol to be certain.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                Mmmmhhhh!! , I bet Goo gone leaves a thin film residue of lemon oil or similar.
                I'd lightly swab the adhesion area with a Q Tip just humid with a couple drops alcohol to be certain.
                I did not seem to need to do this. The contact cement worked PERFECTLY. Thanks for all the help guys!

Comment

Working...
                X