Simple high-pass filter for guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple high-pass filter for guitar?

Hey all, I've got a simple question regarding a rather unusual guitar setup. It's for a noise-punk band I play in, where the goal is to have the guitar be as harsh and treble-y as possible, like if you can stand in the same room as the guitar without earplugs, something is wrong.

Current setup is guitar through three distortion pedals into an A/B/Y box, with one output going to a 6505+ half-stack and the other going into a Peavey Mark VI bass head with no speakers connected, then from the high-frequency output of that (HPF set around 1.5kHz) to a small PA head, which feeds 2 speaker cabs, each consisting of 6 piezo tweeters. It'll make your ears bleed.

Anyway, we used to blow tweeters all the time feeding them a full-range signal (luckily replacements are only $2 apiece), so the Mark VI is being used for high-pass filtering, because it's the only high-pass filter we have access to currently. It's been working out great, but obviously it seems like a waste to drag a whole extra amp to gigs just to use as a high-pass filter.

I'm looking for a simple, cheap alternative but am not sure how to go about it. I'm imagining just making a simple R/C circuit in a RadioShack project box, but I feel like it might require something more complex than that. Decreased signal level is not really an issue; the tweeters' amp is set with the volume less than "1" now and it's unbearably loud. Noise imparted to the filtered signal is not really an issue either; at this point the guitar is close to white noise anyway. Something passive would be preferred but not really necessary.

Suggestions and advice would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Graphic EQ in the FX loop of the 6505.

A Danelectro Fish n Chips pedal might do it for $30 with its 8 bands. But a rack unit might get you better resolution.

Meanwhile, a solid state amp won;t care about piezos, but your 6505 will not be happy driving only piezos. It wants a proper load.

So another idea might be to make a dummy load with a crossover for your horns. You could still use piezos, or at that point evn a compression driver and horn.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Graphic EQ in the FX loop of the 6505....
      Enzo, why are you encouraging this deviant behavior?
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
      X