Vintage Wha Resistors mixed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Wha Resistors mixed up

I bought a mid 1970s Cry Baby (Thomas Bros) I have a picture of the insides of the same wha,but this one seems to have some of the resistors turned around.Also someome put CF ones in where both 470K are I can't read them I dont know if the picture I have is right or my wha..PS it is a Stack O dimes inductor one No wonder it has always sounded funny It is a nice wha if I can figure this out Does anyone have a photo of one that I can check from?

When the resistors are turned around, the sound arguably comes out in reverse, or does it?
    You need to take pictures of the one you have....it's really impossible without good clear pictures.
    but the trick to the wha is to position the control pot in the exact right spot. Otherwise, you will have not much wha factor.
    Once you tweak the position of the gear, the wha should wha just whanderful.
    You can I think, buy a replacement board, if the original is too messed up. I have seen those boards around.
    But I would repair the board probably.

Comment

Here are a few Google gut shots.
      Attached Files

Comment

Do you also have a pic of *your* wah? These two seem horribly similar, aside from an apparently missing resistor in the TDK one. GEOfex's technology of the wah article might help too.
        What exactly do you mean by resistors that are turned around?

Comment

He means that it's 'haw' instead of wha. This is what happens when the resistors are reversed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            Here are a few Google gut shots.
            My Wha looks just like the one on the right,But if you look the 33K and 470ohm look like the other picyute with the TDK,I was wondering why if they are the same board why some of the resistors are turned end to endunderstand what I am trying to dumass say,I thought maybe someone modded mine..

Comment

Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
              My Wha looks just like the one on the right,But if you look the 33K and 470ohm look like the other picyute with the TDK,I was wondering why if they are the same board why some of the resistors are turned end to endunderstand what I am trying to dumass say,I thought maybe someone modded mine..
              Sorry about the bad spelling and spacing

Comment

If what you've been asking about is that the color bands of some of the resistors are 180 degrees reversed from some of the others, then don't worry, there is no polarity to resisitors and the parts were just installed turned around.

This is much more evident in hand stuffed boards, where the installer just grabbed a handful of parts and inserted them any which way. Machine stuffed boards will usually have all of the resistors mounted in the same direction as all of the parts come in reels with the color bands aligned the same way.

Comment

Wha What Way

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
                  If what you've been asking about is that the color bands of some of the resistors are 180 degrees reversed from some of the others, then don't worry, there is no polarity to resisitors and the parts were just installed turned around.

This is much more evident in hand stuffed boards, where the installer just grabbed a handful of parts and inserted them any which way. Machine stuffed boards will usually have all of the resistors mounted in the same direction as all of the parts come in reels with the color bands aligned the same way.
                  THANKS..That is what I was trying to say...I thought someone had messed it up,who ever owned this wha before me did change 2 other caps to carbon film,and you cant see the colored bands,They also started to drill out the side to put a plug so you didnt need to use a battery,It had a real ice pick sound when I first got it.So I lowered the 68K down alittle and put a 10UF in where the 3.9was and both -.22UF I changed to tropical fish just to look cool

Comment

Working...
                  X