GCB-95 dunlop crybaby problems, please assist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCB-95 dunlop crybaby problems, please assist

Ok, so far everytime I have posted on this forum my issue is fixed so lets see what happens this time.

I have a GCB-95 dunlop crybaby "rev-I" it came with a red fasel inductor.
    Changes:
    Replaced Red Fasel with Yellow Fasel
    Replaced gain resister from 390ohm to 360ohm
    Changed Mid range resister from 1.5K Ohms to 2.2K Ohms
    Vocal mod replaced 33k resister with 68k resister

True by pass with 9pin switch and led install
    Removed buffer components...

After mod was completed (I did it all in one hit and I thought I did a fantastic job) the wah effect no longer works.
    The bypass works when the pedal is off, when the pedal is engaged the led turns on but there is no effect and there is a slight amount of static and sometimes the radio and the guitar still comes through when played.
    I can now only get it to power up from using a 9v battery, the power suply doesnt work anymore and wont give it power.

I thought it might have been a dodgey fasel inducter but after change back still no luck. I have read other people have had similar problems and I thought maybe with the buffer removed from the rev I that the wah cant work????

Can anyone point me in the right direction to fixing this? There really isnt many components and I will replace everyone and keep going untill it works. It wouldnt be shorting due to it touching the case because I have tried with the board out. I can post up photos this afternoon, I think I have just wired it wrong or maybe created an acidentle short with solder or something?

A link to a schematic would help, and if this list of mods was something you found in one place, a link to that would be good.

damus asked me to comment, but I don't work on these, so I have no particular insights. But I'll try. I found a GCB-95 rev D in my files, don't know how close that is. You folks have apparently created a jargon around these, as I have no idea what gain, midrange, and vocal resistors might be. Looking at the print, I see a 68k R1 in series with the input. Is your vocal mod returning to this value? The only low resistance resistor I see is R8, emitter resistor to Q1, which is 470 ohm. Is that the one you made 360 ohms? I see 1.5k R2, is that what became 2.2k? And I am not sure which parts are your buffer components. Component numbers really help, rather than names.

But i am going to assume the circuit is basically the same. But five revisions later, that assumption could be very wrong.

First power, no circuit will work without proper power. What do you mean it powers up with a battery, what powers up? First thing to check is your power adaptor itself. I assume it used to work? Take a meter to it and verify it still makes voltage. Did you do any wiring to the power jack? Battery in and guitar plugged into input, do you have 9v between pins 1 and 10 of the conector? Assuming your rev I has the same connector.

Did you have the jacks out? They need to make good contact with the box walls.

A very common mistake is misreading the color codes. Too many times I have found someone installed a 470 ohm resistor instead of s 470k resistor, as an example. SO double check all the resistors you installed.

ANother is to miswire the stomp switch. A 9 pin switch can easily get turned 90 degrees when wiring. Verify with a meter that the switch internal connections all make sense to your wiring.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

AH, I find out they added buffer circuits later than the D rev, and yours has the jacks on the board?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

As true bypass switching has been added, along with the input buffer being removed, it's likely that something hasn't got correctly linked.
        See Stop Tone Sucking cheaply and easily in your wah pedal there may be some clues as to where the error is.
        Pete
        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
        X