6G15 clone build, decisions to take..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6G15 clone build, decisions to take..

I found a used Epiphone Valve Jr head so instead of building this project in an ugly homemade box, that little amp is a neat recipient and will save me a bunch of trouble.

BTW the head version has DC heater supply..

So I have 3 options basically, any ideas or opinions welcomed:

1. Use the stock OT and EL84, and copy the Vibro-King circuit.
    Pretty close to the 6G15 except has only 1 gain stage before the EL84..
    Issue: must add a 12AX7, hoping the PT will hold up with the extra 300 mA heater current.

2. Use a 6v6 or 6K6, they draw 300-350 mA less heater current so that issue is out of the way, but I must fit an octal socket and buy another OT.

3. Use a 12AT7, will fits same socket and no risk for the heater supply, but will it drive the tank enough? (EDIT: OT must be changed too)
    Actually in a BF\SF circuit the 12AT7 drives the pan way enough, don't really understand the need for a much more powerful tube?

I was hoping to get recommendations about what cathode resistor to use with an EL84 and, grid, screen resistor values. I will probably copy the values of the Vibro King (Rev.A) but it has only one gain stage before the power tube so I'm not sure if all values can apply..

Comment

The cathode resistor is there to bias the power tube. It doesn't care how many tubes came before.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Alright I'm modding that Blues Jr tonight. I'm really just an amateur and may be missing something so just to make sure..

The Fender Champ has a 470R resistor while the 6G15 has a 1000R, so I assume Leo wanted to run that power tube at a lower bias setting for less output right? Now my Blues Jr has a 200R cathode resistor while the Vibro-King uses a 680R for the EL84. My BJR has 340 plate volts while the Vibro-King has 470v. Do you guys recommend keeping the stock 200R or upping that value?

BTW isn't it scary how much power that little reverb transducer is being hit with for it's size?

Comment

Working...
        X