Xicon 42TM018 transformer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xicon 42TM018 transformer question

I'm building a pedal that is using the Xicon 42TM018 transformer. Looking at the space issues I'm having I'm wondering if I couldn't put the transformer on the other side of the board? This would mean the outer legs would be swapped on both the primary and secondary sides. Is that going to be a problem? The pedal is an A/B/Y box and the transformers are used for isolation. Is this going to cause any phase issues?

Dunno, link us to a data sheet or something.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Sorry. Datasheet http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/449/XC-600134-205894.pdf
      Doesn't really say much about it.

Comment

It may not say much, but it says what you need to know. It says the leads are evenly spaced and symmetrical, which means you could flip it over and go underneath. Just make sure the primary and secondary are facing the right way. But the center pin is the center tap, and the relative phase relations won;t change. If you are goi9ng to put it on the solder side of teh board, be sure to insulate under it so it doesn't short any traces.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo. I kind of figured that by looking at the datasheet a little harder but just wasn't 100% sure. I don't really know much about transformers. The board has solder mask on it so it shouldn't short on anything.
          Putting it on the other side of the board sure made it fit a lot easier.

Comment

I wouldn't rely on solder mask, the edge of the transformer could easily wear through it. Slide a piece of plastic sheet or even fish paper under it. even cardboard, it won't be getting hot. I used to get credit card offers in the mail all the time, and they always came with a fake credit card that said YOUR NAME HERE or something. I saved them. They are handy little pieces of insulation for all kinds of uses. Cut out a square from an empty milk carton. That is nice thin plastic sheeting.

Comment

It's a 1:1 transformer, the pinout is completely symmetrical. Go ahead and put it on the other side of the board, it'll make no difference.
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
              X