X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission overdrive

hi guys,

tinkering around with some crap, and i came up with this :

positive it's been done a gazillion times before. but one little twist... i added a simple control to be able to "pan" between the two clippers... one made with 1n4001's (slower clipping for the lows) and one with 1n4148's (faster clipping for the highs)... it works, kinda sorta.. it's more noticeable at some settings than others, it's mostly useful for dialing in "touch sensitivity"..
    the tone control is what it is, fairly simple and crude... but for one freekin' transistor, it actually works pretty well!! at least i think it does..
    i didn't put a master volume on it. you just crank up the gain to where ya want it. unity gain is about 8:00, above that it just kinda gets more saturated (and a bit louder)...

how does it sound? kinda like a tube screamer. : which wasn't what i really expected at all... it's a kinda nasal middy overdrive, cleanish, but enough to bump an amp into a really nice natural overdrive sound.

i tend to like the knobs pegged.

if ya build this or mess with it, you may wanna mess with the diodes some... i shoulda put switching in this, but i wanted to do something without all the vegematic options for a change.

led's would probably work great in it instead of 4001's.

i tried every npn in the house... took a couple hours, and settled on bc547 having the most natural overdrive tone. sockets are your friends. higher gain transistors and darlingtons sounded great... 5089's even were fairly good..bc109's etc... but in the end the 547 won out to my jaded old ears.

i built it up on a vero, here:

it works. it doesn't sound too bad, even.... will shoot a SPT when i get a chance. you may wanna add a volume control to it. if so, just add a 100k pot between audio out on the board and the footswitch.

the original idea for this i stole from here, pretty much. it's not quite the same circuit anymore, but fair's fair, and without this guy's work, i never woulda built this, so here's to you bro, whomever you are!!

Overdrive Effect Pedal ? Schematic and Layout

Cool.
    Nice work.

Comment

Comment

Working...
      X