X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
    Have you read the BigShot desriptor?

Channel A: straight out.

Channel B: transformer isolated from Ch A, phase reversal as compared to Ch A, ground lift.
    (Very coincidentally was just looking at the page for that the other day) I think use of a buffer is recommended by Radial (naturally a Radial one), and you probably need one to get a good response out of the transformer (presumably nothing particularly good considering the price--*note that "better" ones (esp. wound to work at higher impedances) need a more elaborate winding with (to keep C low) very thin wire so necessitating more difficult (expensive) design work and implementation (actually doing the winding accurately and consistently enough for a product. Also (check out R.G.'s transformer coupled splitter for example of getting improved results from non-pricey trafos), the not so high impedance and cost ones should work with a low driving impedance (helps drive the winding inductance and extends low frequency response. Further, look at the R.G. article schemo where the secondary has a RC network across it to damp resonance and flatten the response--without proper "damping" with a Zobel network, resistor, or a combo of both, the output response can "ring"(resonate in two or more places at a high frequency) and this peak area where there is more amplitude (i.e. signal voltage) can distort the input of the next device which can create non-harmonically related tones through intermodulation--generally you don't want this.)

(this is a page I like where the author does a lot of documented experimentation using a cheap 600-600ohm Sansui/Hashimoto Xfrmr with different driving impedances and loading and signal levels. Note that it's Japanese so try google translate, etc.) :

サンスイ ST-71 600Ω:600Ωトランスのf特とか歪とか

one chart where different driving Z and receving Z are used (orange line with 40 ohm driving, 600 ohm terminating shows most extended lows) :

http://fixerhpa.web.fc2.com/sokutei/...71_inout_z.gif

Comment

I was not too sure if you where up to a kit.

Happy building.

Comment

Working...
      X