Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats this component in a EBS Multicomp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats this component in a EBS Multicomp?

Hi!
    I accidentally connected my pedalboard to a 16V AC source instead of 9v DC. All pedals but the EBS Multicomp seems to have survived. The photo shows the smoked , desoldered Component plus the circuitboard. I figure this (rather expensive) pedal might come alive if i replace it. What is it? Its too burnt to see any text, colour or othervise.
    /
    Daniel
    Attached Files

It's a fuse.
    The component next to it used to be a voltage regulator...probably might be shorted now.
    The fuse would not blow until something else shorted out. Unit may not be worth fixing.

Comment

A bit of a guess without a schematic, but it appears that there is a protection/blocking diode there at the circuit board edge. This would be there for just such an occasion (plugging the wrong polarity or AC supply into the unit). Check the diode and make sure it's not shorted before you reapply power.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Looks more like a resistor to me, from the caps on the ends to the spiral cut element in the center. Not to mention that fuses as a rule do not erupt in flame.

However, I do agree that something else failed to make this part burn.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

^^^ Yes, probably a low value resistor used as a "fuse". My guess is that the diode shorted and as a result the resistor burnt. If the diode did its job, the regulator is probably ok. Of course, I'm making assumptions without actually seeing the circuit.

Comment

To be more precise, the component started overheating when i put the unit back on DC. And yes, it seems to be a resistor with R=32ohm. So probably something was destroyed by the AC wich in turn made this resistor overheat with DC. Still dont know what to do tho.

Comment

EBS Multicomp 2 Schematic

Here is a schematic for the Multicomp 2.
              If the pedals are similar, it looks like the part that is off the board is indeed a low value resistor, 5.6 ohms.
              The three legged component is a zener diode. BZV49C Datasheet - NXP - Datasheets360.com
              The rectangular guy is a diode.
              Attached Files

Comment

Ok, so I had the right idea but wrong diode. They are using that zener to protect the rest of the circuitry in the case of a voltage "faux pas". Now that we have a schematic, I'd suspect that the zener shorted and took out the resistor. Check the zener for a short. Replace if shorted. Replace the resistor. Before powering up, check the input DC to ground for shorts.

Edit: The zener is 9.3V 1/2W and the resistor is no biggy. If you don't feel like waiting for SMD parts, you could certainly tac regular parts in. There seems to be plenty of room to stand them up off the board.
                Last edited by The Dude; 05-10-2014, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                  It's a fuse.
                  The component next to it used to be a voltage regulator...probably might be shorted now.
                  The fuse would not blow until something else shorted out. Unit may not be worth fixing.
                  Hey SGM, you already filled your "stupid post of the day" task in another thread, no need for a second one.

1) Itīs not a fuse but a RESISTOR, as *everybody else* noticed at once.

2) Funny suggestion in a Forum DEDICATED to help people FIX their broken stuff.

Ok, ok, put on your custom designed pajamas and go back to sleep now:
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanx guys. I took an easy way out and removed the zener (D3) and shorted the resistor (R7). Now it works fine. My boss wallwart is 9.1 V with no load and the zener is Vz 9.4-10.6 so the zener should not be active anyway as long as i use this supply. Besides that, soldering SMD Components is not my favorite thing. I better not try the 16 AC again thou..

Comment

Working...
                    X