70's Morley Power Wah: Help adding LEDs/3PDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70's Morley Power Wah: Help adding LEDs/3PDT

I need some help figuring out how to wire this old Morley wah with 3PDT/LEDs.
    It has two footswitches: Wah and Boost.
    Attached Files

What are the LEDs for?

As designed, the indicator lamp is the light source for the photoresistors.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      What are the LEDs for?

As designed, the indicator lamp is the light source for the photoresistors.
      LED are just to know when the Wah is on and the Boost is on.

Comment

So the LEDS are added or part of original design? If added you need to just figure out what the voltages are in the circuit. then add a dropping resistor as needed based on the type of LED, google LED dropping resistor for a calculator (or 10). I had a Morley Auto Wah back in the day, the sweep was adjustable but seemed to exceed the guitars output in 90% of the settings, so the signal would just drop out like a tremolo. It was laudably noise free due to the optical circuit, still have this sticker on my case
        Click image for larger version

Name:	1bfe8770b2d4d4772e380f8b9c24b630.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	833306

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
          So the LEDS are added or part of original design? If added you need to just figure out what the voltages are in the circuit. then add a dropping resistor as needed based on the type of LED, google LED dropping resistor for a calculator (or 10). I had a Morley Auto Wah back in the day, the sweep was adjustable but seemed to exceed the guitars output in 90% of the settings, so the signal would just drop out like a tremolo. It was laudably noise free due to the optical circuit, still have this sticker on my case
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]28785[/ATTACH]
          They are going to be added.
          I took the original switches out and replaced them with 3DPT ones.
          I have the LEDs in, and have a power source.
          My problem right now is figuring how to properly take the wiring that is on the 6 lug switch and transpose it on the 9 lug one.
          So far, I wired the 3DPT exactly like the original switches on the first 2 columns. The put the neg. of my LED on the third column, but I get a crazy feedback when I engage.

Comment

hmmm, a drawing would get this resolved probably, pencil something up and help will abound. Someone at DIYstompboxes or GeoFex has probably done something just like this but 3DPT give me headaches (I gave up stomping years ago...

Comment

Do you get the feedback issue when the leds are Not connected at all?
              The switch function should be totally independant (ie: 3 separate poles)
              Where did you pull off the power for the led?
              There are two main filtered voltages, 55Vdc & 25Vdc.
              Schematic link: http://www.morleypedals.com/pwbes.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                Do you get the feedback issue when the leds are Not connected at all?
                The switch function should be totally independant (ie: 3 separate poles)
                Where did you pull off the power for the led?
                There are two main filtered voltages, 55Vdc & 25Vdc.
                Schematic link: http://www.morleypedals.com/pwbes.pdf
                I tapped into the 25V trace that is powering the on/off power bulb.
                I have the neg of the LED on the 3rd column, middle pole on the 3DPT and have a jumper going from the 2nd column to the third.
                I will take better pictures tonight of the newly installed 3DPT's

Comment

I would tap off the filtered 25 volt rail.
                  What resistor did you use?
                  Why did you jumper the 2nd & third legs of the switch?

Comment

Swapping the switches should be a simple conversion. Make sure that you are connecting to the correct terminals on new switches. The 3 X 3 grid can be misleading and you might have them turned 90 degrees.

Comment

Here's how i wired up the new 3DPT's.
                      You can see in the pic, I haven't connected the LED neg yet.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here is what I would do:
                        1) Put it back to the original condition with the original switch and make sure it functions normally. If it doesn't, fix the problem.
                        2) Once you are sure it functions properly, use and ohm meter map out the switching pin out of the old switch.
                        3) Instal the new switch paying close attention to the old switch pin out and any difference to the old switch. Do not connect anything else until it is working normally.
                        4) Once it works normally with the new switch, add the led switching circuits one at a time.

It's better to do things in small steps in situations like this. I hope you took a gut shot of the pedal before you started.

Comment

Working...
                        X