Please Help, RE 201 Space Echo Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help, RE 201 Space Echo Issue

Howdy. Having a problem with my Space Echo. Pinch Roller starts squeeking and
    will stop altogether. Typically can get it going again by hand until it starts doing the same thing at it's own leisure. Need to get this taken care of, any help appreciated.

Do you mean the pinch roller, or the capstan. Something must be seizing up, could be worn motor bearings. You need to identify whether the resistance to turning is in the metal bit, or the rubber bit.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance. It is the black rubber part at the top of the machine.

Comment

I can't really determine where the resistance is coming from. It feels more like the black rubber part, but I don't know how to determine this for sure.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance.
          Nothing to forgive - no-one's born knowing what the parts of 1/4" tape transport mechanisms are called!

I seem to remember that when you switch the echo off with a footswitch, the pinch roller moves away from the capstan to stop driving the tape, and thus the echo. If you do this you should be able to see which bit is causing problems. The capstan should keep turning, but the pinch roller will stop as it is not driven. If the capstan does keep turning, try turning the pich roller with your finger to see if it has gone tight.

Hope that gets you somewhere, I sold my RE201 a few weeks back, so working from memory here.

Liam

Comment

Thanks for the niceties I don't have a footswitch so I turned on the unit and waited for the pinch roller to stop. The capstan was still turning.

Comment

Oops. Replied too soon. As I said, capstan kept turning and though it wasn't in the way position, the pinch roller was tight. I am not sure of the name of the part at the bottom of the machine.( A tape guide of some sort> Silver, amaybe a bit bigger than a nickel? positioned just before the tape moves across the heads) At any rate, when the pinch roller stops, it stops as well. Not sure if this is supposed to happen or not. That is about all the info I have for now. Guess I had probably learn about my equipment if I am determined to own and use vintage pieces.

Comment

If you have a bad pinch roller this guy can rebuild it. Pricey, but worth it.
                Stop by my web page!

Comment

More than likely the capstan is belt drivin with a rubber belt driving the capstan flywheel from the motor pulley. I haven't owned a space echo in 25 years, but this is how most tape transports are made. If the belt is slipping the capstan stops. Also, a dirty tape path or worn tape can freeze the tape. Clean the tape path, capstan, and pinch roller. Clean the motor pulley and the flywheel surface. Replace the belt. Lubricate the capstan bearing. Then try a fresh tape. If you still have a problem, check the motor torch and the pinch roller contact pressure. If the tape isn't skewing the bearing and pinch roller are probably ok. Space Echos are a pain. That's why I got a rack mount digital delay as soon as they were available at a sane price in the early '80s.

Comment

Originally posted by low sims View Post
                    Howdy. Having a problem with my Space Echo. Pinch Roller starts squeeking and
                    will stop altogether. Typically can get it going again by hand until it starts doing the same thing at it's own leisure. Need to get this taken care of, any help appreciated.
                    It COULD be that the tape you are using has sticky oxide and is gumming up the machine and grinding (actually gumming) the macine/tpae to a halt.
                    Perhaps try another tape...and see if it happens with that one (after cleaning all heads and moving parts in the tape path).

Comment

Space Echo Help

It is more than likely a faulty pinch roller (they either go hard or go really sticky like black tar). Also if you are using an incorrect tape loop it will stick to the heads. You need to use lubricated tape stock in these machines.

I have new pinch rollers (manufactured to original spec) in stock at Echo Fix - Roland Space Echo Parts, Service & Repair RT-L1, RE-201, RE-501, RE-150 — Echo Fix

Another problem could be the heads being really dirty and having a oxide build up on them. If so the heads will need to be polished so they are smooth again.

Replace the tape transport and tension felts as well as they become dirty and sticky.

If you need any further info let me know.

Cheers

Shane

Comment

Working...
                      X