Quick (easy) question about diode switching using rotary switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick (easy) question about diode switching using rotary switch

Hi. I'm about to have a go at my first DIY pedal mod on a EHX Soul Food. I'm following this chap's guide: https://www.coda-effects.com/2015/03...iodes-mod.html
    However I'd like to use a dual pole rotary switch (12 ways) to really go nuts with the diodes (use some LEDs and some silicon and germanium diodes and goof with symmetry etc.)
    I've never used a rotary switch before and I'm going to wire the diodes directly to the switch with no board etc. I'm not sure how I do that. Would I solder each pair of diodes (twisted together) on to 1 lug of the switch and then to the pole lug in the center? Then solder two wires from the pole of the switch and put one end in each of the holes on the PCB?

Or would it have to look like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Varitone-Knob.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	908876

With the center pole going to one socket and the rats-tail going to the other?

Sorry, bit of a newb!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by 22uf; 07-10-2020, 08:38 AM.

Originally posted by 22uf View Post
    With the center pole going to one socket and the rats-tail going to the other?
    Yes, like that. The diode pairs go where the capacitors are in the picture. If they are connected between the switch poles and wiper (centre lug) the switch will short them out.

Comment

I don't suppose there is a more elegant way of doing this? I guess buy some patchboard and slot the diodes?

Comment

Originally posted by 22uf View Post
        I don't suppose there is a more elegant way of doing this?
        I'd do it with the diodes standing up vertically in line with the switch lugs then connect their free ends to a circle of tinned copper wire.

Comment

Thanks for your help Dave!

I've just stumbled upon the dip-switch method and now I think I like this better as it allows for combinations of diode pairs .. !

http://diy-fever.com/misc/flexi-clip/

Comment

Working...
          X