Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOD 460 Mini Chorus Repair

Hi all,

I've just come across this great forum, and was wondering if anyone could be of help with the project I'm working on.
    I have done a bunch of testing, but would like to get a second opinion on the diagnosis, since I am still quite inexperienced with electronic circuits.

I'm working on a DOD 460, it only gives the clean signal at the moment when the effect is engaged. I tested all electrolytic capacitors with an ESR meter, and unsoldered and checked the transistors - all good. I've traced the signal with the help of a schematic I found online (sorry for bad quality), and highlighted it:

Click image for larger version  Name:	signal_trace.jpg Views:	1 Size:	288.6 KB ID:	909165

As you can see, part of the circuit is only a clicking noise (the dotted line), very faint, coming from ODD OUT and EVEN OUT (pin 3&4) of the SAD512D chip - the INPUT signal (pin 6) seems fine. I can't find a signal in the rest of the circuit.

I checked the CLOCK signal (pin 1) of the SAD512D with an oscilloscope, and it does look erratic (although I don't have much experience with oscilloscopes):

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3908.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	909166

Would you say the SAD512D chip is the culprit here, or did I miss something?
    Last edited by clarisso11; 07-13-2020, 04:52 PM.

Here is a 'better' schematic.
    Attached Files

Comment

Very cool, thank you!

Comment

Does anyone have an idea? I should also mention, the voltage at pin 5 and 8 of SAD512D measures as 8.7V, if that helps..

Comment

If you read the schematic correctly, pins 5 & 8 should be at a high potential.
          So you have good input.
          What does pin 3 & 4 look like on a scope or a signal probe?
          If 3/4 are good but it 'clicks' after the NPN transistor then I would suspect the transistor.
          Here is the SAD512D datasheet:
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            If you read the schematic correctly, pins 5 & 8 should be at a high potential.
            So you have good input.
            What does pin 3 & 4 look like on a scope or a signal probe?
            If 3/4 are good but it 'clicks' after the NPN transistor then I would suspect the transistor.
            Here is the SAD512D datasheet:
            Thanks for your help, really appreciate it!

I just checked pin 3&4 with an audio probe - no signal, only faint clicking. The signal at pin 6 is very clear and loud on the audio probe, so looks like good input, as you said.
            I have unsoldered the NPN transistor and checked it with the diode setting, it all seems to check out.

Here is pin 3 on the scope:
            https://ibb.co/tJmChKx

And here is pin 4:
            https://ibb.co/51qH6PW

Does that look like a "good" signal? This is where I'm a bit too inexperienced to tell..

Comment

It 'looks' like a good signal.
              So why is it not coming through the audio probe?
              Probably need s a boost, hense the npn transistor.
              If it does appear that the NAD ic is bad, you are out of luck.
              They have not been available for years.

Comment

Thanks, that makes sense.. I will replace the transistor first, and report back with the results

Comment

No luck with the transistor, but a new (*old) SAD512D chip did the trick - managed to find one online for a decent price.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                  X