Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem increasing delay time in a deluxe memory man with extra BBD chips

Hello everyone,

For some time I had plans to try the mystic "4x MN3005" modification in a Deluxe Memory Man from around 2000. I bought a Deluxe Memory Man with 4x MN3008 in it and I never liked it as much as my other version with MN3005.
    Today I took the plunge and really got into the circuit (with the knowledge I have). Took out the MN3008's, replaced them with 4x MN3005 and found the courage to see what magic the 7 trim-potentiometers cast. Beautiful to see the BBD clocks on the scope, however calbrating this mess was something different.

I had a feeling that this was not going to be easy...
    The pcb was designed to run either 4x MN3008 or 2x MN3005, I however found lots of information on the internet of people succesfully operating this unit.

There are 'jumper pads' on the pcb that need to be joined or removed, it clearly states which ones.

So, I put 4x MN3005 chips in the sockets with the 'pcb configuration in 4x MN3008', hoping to increase the delay and that it would work properly after calibrating.
    I turned the effect on and the chips work, but I have doubts now about what I am doing and the calibration procedure. I can't seem to get it sounding nice.

I linked each trimpot and I got a good feel for what they do know. I was able to +- bias the BBD delay chips on my scope, the sound that is coming out is not what I have expected.

I think one of the problems I have is that each 4096-stage chip has a clock input capacitance of 2800pf, 2 pairs of MN3005 results in 10200pf on the clock line?
    Thanks for any help, I am really stuck on this one.

Working...
X