Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT2399 delay recommendations please

Hi folks

does anyone have experience of building a decent delay pedal around a pt2399? I would appreciate any recommendations and accompanying plans/schematics.

I have a fairly open mind.

cheers

steve

diystompboxes.com

Comment

I've built quite a few over the years both for myself and customers but for me the best one has been based on a circuit linked to here; https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ge-style-delay. I used a simple JFET switch to do tails as I didn't want true bypass. I can set the controls to nicely repeat (just on the edge of uncontrolled oscillation), then play over the repeats. I also incorporated an LED limiter to reduce or prevent distortion at high signal levels.

I've also built a few Rebote 2 delays and added a simple rate/depth oscillator coupled to an LED/LDR vactrol across the delay time control. You then get a chorused delay. Another build has been two rebote delays in the same enclosure with chorusing on each and an FX send/return between the two. That's a spectacular pedal.

Comment

If all you want or need is a 3-knobber, it's hard to beat the Tonepad Rebote 2.5. The Rebote 2, as well as the Cave Dweller 2 at the Madbean site has a simpler input stage and mixer/output. The 2.5 improves on that. Scott Swartz's PT-80 (available at General Guitar Gadgets) improves on that yet further by including companding and some additional filtering meant to mimic the old Ibanez AD-80. None of these has a dramatically different range of delay times.

If being able to modulate the delay time appeals to you, the Echobase is a solid choice.

Comment

I just got out a Rebote 2.5 and played around with it for an hour. It does get a little noisy on longer delays, but otherwise it's pretty decent. I think mine has some minor filter circuit cap changes. After a few minutes I got into actual playing. Something I don't do a lot of these days as I'm always listening - mainly to other peoples broken or fixed gear. So it's a pretty good sign when you forget about fiddling with controls and get lost in the moment. BTW, this one also has a little modulation circuit to wiggle the delay time.

There's always a tradeoff between brightness, or cutting too much top end off the repeats and having a fairly quiet delay. It all depends on the rest of your setup and how much delay you want. I like the idea of the PT-80. I've run a PT2399 delay through a standalone compander and taken off a lot of the filtering and it works well and although I've never built a PT-80 I think this would be something to look at in more detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
            I've built quite a few over the years both for myself and customers but for me the best one has been based on a circuit linked to here; https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ge-style-delay. I used a simple JFET switch to do tails as I didn't want true bypass. I can set the controls to nicely repeat (just on the edge of uncontrolled oscillation), then play over the repeats. I also incorporated an LED limiter to reduce or prevent distortion at high signal levels.

I've also built a few Rebote 2 delays and added a simple rate/depth oscillator coupled to an LED/LDR vactrol across the delay time control. You then get a chorused delay. Another build has been two rebote delays in the same enclosure with chorusing on each and an FX send/return between the two. That's a spectacular pedal.

Thanks Mick

With the circuit salad “analogue” delay, did you use the MAX7401 low pass filter chip? Is there an alternative, the only max7401 I can find is pretty costly?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
              If all you want or need is a 3-knobber, it's hard to beat the Tonepad Rebote 2.5. The Rebote 2, as well as the Cave Dweller 2 at the Madbean site has a simpler input stage and mixer/output. The 2.5 improves on that. Scott Swartz's PT-80 (available at General Guitar Gadgets) improves on that yet further by including companding and some additional filtering meant to mimic the old Ibanez AD-80. None of these has a dramatically different range of delay times.

If being able to modulate the delay time appeals to you, the Echobase is a solid choice.
              Mark

i have been looking at your modifications on DIY stompboxes. (https://www.diystompboxes.com/smffor...topic=111503.0). I realise I am in the presence of greatness!

I can find a 2010 schematic for the Echo base, which I am looking at now.

by the way, would you buy a pre-made pcb?

cheers

steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Blackdog View Post
                With the circuit salad “analogue” delay, did you use the MAX7401 low pass filter chip? Is there an alternative, the only max7401 I can find is pretty costly?
                I used the alternative filter described here, which works really well. I didn't alter any of the values but there's some scope for experiment; https://circuitsalad.com/2012/09/05/...-pt2399-delay/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Blackdog View Post

I realise I am in the presence of greatness!

I can find a 2010 schematic for the Echo base, which I am looking at now.

by the way, would you buy a pre-made pcb?
                  More like in the presence of won't-shut-up-ness.
                  I suppose I might buy a pre-made PCB, but I tend to make my own, even those I probably shouldn't (like big double-sided). That may account for the very large number of circuit boards that still need troubleshooting in order to be usable.

Comment

Working...
                  X