BOSS TU-2 high pitch frequency noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOSS TU-2 high pitch frequency noise

I have a Boss TU-2 that puts out a high pitched noise , not a buzz but more of a ring . It doesn't matter if it is off or on , plugged into bypass or output. That all makes me think it's the power section of the circuit , but not totally sure about that . Luckily the board has workable components on it that have part numbers you can see. I have rang out all the electrolytic caps and they come up good when in circuit. Looking for some ideas on how to proceed to troubleshoot this . Thanks.

Here is the SM.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks this will be a tremendous help.

Comment

Are you using a power pack?
        If so, try a battery.

Comment

Do you get the noise when powered from a battery?

JPB beat me.

I have rang out all the electrolytic caps and they come up good when in circuit.
          What does this mean? How did you test the caps?

Does the tuner work fine apart from the noise?
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 04-16-2021, 04:18 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Yes get the noise with a battery. ESR tester .

Comment

Does the ESR tester also measure capacitance?
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

No does not measure capacitance just ohms. Tuner does work .Sorry forgot that part.

Comment

Originally posted by miltown View Post
                  No does not measure capacitance just ohms.
                  Well even a shorted cap would show very low ESR.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Yep that's why I tested them out.

Comment

Originally posted by miltown View Post
                      Yep that's why I tested them out.
                      Same with a cap that has developed an internal short or excessive leakage.

What I mean is that low ESR doesn't necessarily means a good cap.

For proper function a cap needs to have sufficient capacitance, low ESR and low leakage.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I suggest that you removed R6 temporarily. If this stop the noise then you know that it's coming from the digital section. Assuming that it is, you need to figure how.

C5 is an obvious suspect. I know you checked it but sometimes it's easier to just to replace, or at least tack another in parallel. Other routes much be poor grounding of jack sockets to case.
                        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Let me say that again as I don't have the ability to edit the auto corrections that generate nonsense.

I suggest that you removed R6 temporarily. If this stop the noise then you know that it's coming from the digital section. Assuming that it is, you need to figure how.

C5 is an obvious suspect. I know you checked it but sometimes it's easier just to replace, or at least tack another in parallel. Other routes such bas poor grounding e.g. of jack sockets to case.
                          Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Replaced C5 and no more ring. Thanks nickb and thanks Jazz P , appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                            X