Echoplex head source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echoplex head source

i found out from repair guy that my head on my ep3 is bad. does anyone have one to sell? or a source for one?

its the record/erase head.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrendell View Post
      its the record/erase head.
      Watch eBay, they come up there once and a while.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrendell View Post
        i found out from repair guy that my head on my ep3 is bad. does anyone have one to sell? or a source for one?
        The first thing I would ask is why is it bad? There are only three things that can go wrong with a head. They open up internally (very, very rare but I have seen it and it was a record head), they get trenched (very common, usually from long use or using the wrong tape formulation), or they wear unevenly (because of tape skewing from tape tension problems or a bad pinchroller). It is also very common for an incompetent tech to tell you that an unavailable part is bad when they don't know how to fix it. Look at the head yourself. If it isn't worn at an angle and you can run your fingernail across it without feeling a ridge it probably isn't bad and you need another tech. If the head is indeed trenched you probably also have worn guideposts, a worn capstan motor bearing, and a pinch roller to be replaced also. I would be skeptical if he says it just needs a head.

Comment

You also might just give these guys a call or someone like them:
          http://mewplexfx.com/default.aspx
          or I have heard that Kurt Pe?a at www.fuzzorama.com is the world expert on echoplexes and space echos.
          Last edited by olddawg; 09-14-2008, 05:57 AM.

Comment

the head isnt erasing like its supposed to. you can hear the previously played music in background. its the only problem im having with unit. there is a small dent on the head, something could have fallen on it at some point. i went over the unit myself and i got it to do the self oscilation run away thing which it didnt do when i got it. plays nice, sounds good. just dont erase. its not wore bad. if anyone can help with this feel free to post or email me at woodbutcher6@verizon.net. the last thing i want to do is have to ship it off to one of the major echoplex repair places as they are a bit pricey and i cant justify investing $500-$600 cost for unit and repair.

Comment

and to consider all possiblilities, how can i find out if it works or not? im not a tech myself, i have some knowlege and experience. so far ive done everything i know to and done the research i can find. there isnt a lot of info concerning how to trouble shoot the record/erase head only the circuts.

Comment

the fuzzorama link goes to a search site. nothing to do with music equipment.

Comment

If I had it in front of me it would be a lot easier to give advice. If am reading you correctly your are saying that the erase head is bad? The first thing I would do is a DC resistance test on the head out of circuit and compare that to the resistance of a known good head out of a working machine or a spec sheet. If that isn't available I would compare it to any erase head using the same type of tape. (most real shops have a bucket of old heads) I seriously doubt if the head is bad. Has anyone scoped the erase oscillator output amplitude? Is it correct. Frankly, any erase head for that tape width that you can mount in there will probably work as long as you adjust the oscillator output to the right level. There is nothing magical or unique about an echoplex. It is just another tape recorder. All of the record/erase principles and tape specs should be the same as a R to R using the same type of tape.

Comment

is there any way i can do resistance test without multi-meter(mine is old and the 22 1/2v battery is dead)? i should be able to trust the guy i had check it out, hes been in buisness long enough and has experience with tape technology. he said it has good strong oscilator bias/signal. it may be working but just not strong enough. when i flick the s.o.s. switch the background music gets louder. if i put a magnet before the record head problem solved but hissy. so i know the erase function isnt what it should be. the guy on ebay that sells used heads listed one for me other day. so, if the "new" head does samething then does that mean its in the circut(not to be dumb question). ive tried everything i know to do. except to change head. i dont have another echoplex to compare with, just my memory of how my ep4 i had back in early 80's worked. i very much appreciate your advice and help. ive done all the research i can find and done what i could till i get the replacement head.

Comment

i replaced the head with new one from ebay and problem solved. had to adjust the bias afterwards a little. thanx for everyones help and suggestions.

Comment

bad erase head

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                        The first thing I would ask is why is it bad? There are only three things that can go wrong with a head. They open up internally (very, very rare but I have seen it and it was a record head), they get trenched (very common, usually from long use or using the wrong tape formulation), or they wear unevenly (because of tape skewing from tape tension problems or a bad pinchroller). It is also very common for an incompetent tech to tell you that an unavailable part is bad when they don't know how to fix it. Look at the head yourself. If it isn't worn at an angle and you can run your fingernail across it without feeling a ridge it probably isn't bad and you need another tech. If the head is indeed trenched you probably also have worn guideposts, a worn capstan motor bearing, and a pinch roller to be replaced also. I would be skeptical if he says it just needs a head.
                        Well mr positive its not so uncommon for the head to be bad ,all you need is an ohm meter if it reads the proper resitance its ok,erase head should read. Around 25 ohms or so if its open its no good easy to read

Comment

Originally posted by kirk5443 View Post
                          Well mr positive its not so uncommon for the head to be bad ,all you need is an ohm meter if it reads the proper resitance its ok,erase head should read. Around 25 ohms or so if its open its no good easy to read
                          Pretty smartass remark for a first post.
                          Stop by my web page!

Comment

Hi Kirk, welcome to the forum. Note also that the conversation they were having was almost two years ago.

I do agree that heads fail. But let's all play nice.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                            X