Replace potentiometer in Boss FV500L to work with Line 6 Helix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace potentiometer in Boss FV500L to work with Line 6 Helix

Hi, I have been scouring to find info how to make the FV500L expression output play nicely with the helix, actually an HX effects. I've attempted all different wiring configs from TS to TRS, etc. It does not operate smooth and is glitchy especially watching the meter on the unit. I have removed the tuner out and min/max pot. I was having the issue prior to doing this too. I'm thinking the pot value isn't working nice with the boss? It's supposed to be 10K for the HX from what I've read. Can anyone source a 10K volume pot that will drop into the Boss? I'm ok with soldering it out and replacing.

Appreciate any insight.
    Thanks!

Is there a 'calibration' that needs to be done through the line6?
    Maybe the pot in the boss pot is just worn out. It should be the correct 10K value you need. Then the correct boss replacement should fix your problem.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

My bet is that the pot in the Boss is bad. They are known to have dead spots. I'd try the pedal with a different amp to verify that it is working correctly with no dropouts.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        Is there a 'calibration' that needs to be done through the line6?
        Maybe the pot in the boss pot is just worn out. It should be the correct 10K value you need. Then the correct boss replacement should fix your problem.
        Thanks, I do not believe there is a calibration for it. Maybe it is just a bad pot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          My bet is that the pot in the Boss is bad. They are known to have dead spots. I'd try the pedal with a different amp to verify that it is working correctly with no dropouts.
          It does work fine with signal running through it and not using the expression side. I think it's a dual pot? Any idea where I can pick one up or what it's called, not sure if the design is specific to Boss so that it can be controlled by the foot pedal. Thank you.

Comment

Can you post a picture of the part?
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              Can you post a picture of the part?
              I took the image from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpV1upAHRPU . Hopefully it's clear enough, I know the one value is 10K and the other value I'm not so concerned with if it's only used for the input/output section. I did have it apart but sealed it back up. It is a D shaped shaft.

Comment

I've always replaced these with genuine parts from Roland UK, until they recently decided not to deal directly with independent repairers and made me buy at full retail. This makes them very expensive compared to a regular pot. The reason for using a genuine part is despite the appearance they last quite well compared to an adapted standard pot. You can find Taiwan Alpha pots that can be adapted but they don't last as long when used in a foot controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                  I've always replaced these with genuine parts from Roland UK, until they recently decided not to deal directly with independent repairers and made me buy at full retail. This makes them very expensive compared to a regular pot. The reason for using a genuine part is despite the appearance they last quite well compared to an adapted standard pot. You can find Taiwan Alpha pots that can be adapted but they don't last as long when used in a foot controller.
                  I am surprised that Roland was selling you parts at full retail cost....you are an authorized repair tech for Roland?? I was for a few years.....I paid dealer price for parts...due to the fact that our local music store did not have a tech on staff, they were not allowed to order Roland parts for repairs if the unit had to be opened in order to install them....and they were a Roland dealer....I had to order the parts for them......we tried to get that changed but they said it was the new company policy...now that I have retired(sort of) I lost my certification with Roland.....now I am not allowed to order Roland parts for repairs even if the repairs are not under warranty.....they will not sell them.....

Comment

I worked on one of these recently where the expression control was wonky.
                    A good shot of deoxit followed by compressed air cleared up the issues.
                    That is a very custom three ganged control.
                    If you must replace it you have to get the original unit from Roland.

Comment

Are you using a regular mono cable to connect?
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It ended being that the pot was dirty like Jazz P Bass mentioned. Pheewwww. Completely overlooked to try that. When I removed the tuner out/pot I bridged a couple of the connections and am able to use a TS cable to it now as well. Thanks for all the quick replies and good to know I'll just have to go to a dealer to get that part then.

Comment

Originally posted by bsco View Post

I am surprised that Roland was selling you parts at full retail cost....you are an authorized repair tech for Roland?? I was for a few years.....I paid dealer price for parts...due to the fact that our local music store did not have a tech on staff, they were not allowed to order Roland parts for repairs if the unit had to be opened in order to install them....and they were a Roland dealer....I had to order the parts for them......we tried to get that changed but they said it was the new company policy...now that I have retired(sort of) I lost my certification with Roland.....now I am not allowed to order Roland parts for repairs even if the repairs are not under warranty.....they will not sell them.....
                          I used to buy direct from Roland - I'd dealt with them for years in the UK but mainly for obsolete or difficult to get parts that had to be sent out from Japan and they were really helpful. Like how Peavey UK used to be and how Marshall still is. I did out of warranty repairs for some of the local music shops and I got a good discount that made repairs feasible. I hadn't needed anything for a while - I stopped repairing keyboards and most of the pedal parts were stock items for me. I did need some parts this year but they will no longer deal with me directly and I have to buy from one of their approved repair centres or retailers who charge me full list price and a minimum postage cost. There's a pattern here - many other places I used to deal with directly have done the same thing and made some repairs uneconomical for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post

I used to buy direct from Roland - I'd dealt with them for years in the UK but mainly for obsolete or difficult to get parts that had to be sent out from Japan and they were really helpful. Like how Peavey UK used to be and how Marshall still is. I did out of warranty repairs for some of the local music shops and I got a good discount that made repairs feasible. I hadn't needed anything for a while - I stopped repairing keyboards and most of the pedal parts were stock items for me. I did need some parts this year but they will no longer deal with me directly and I have to buy from one of their approved repair centres or retailers who charge me full list price and a minimum postage cost. There's a pattern here - many other places I used to deal with directly have done the same thing and made some repairs uneconomical for me.
                            Here in Canada Roland has dis-continued repairing the Boss pedal line....if the pedal in question is under warranty they just have it sent back( or have the pedal destoryed) and they will replace it.....if it is not under warranty then they do not carry any parts for repairs....any parts would have to be sourced from 3rd party suppliers...this policy took place a couple of years ago....

Comment

That's a real problem if someone accidentally damages a newish pedal and no warranty repair is available. In any case, a lot of the newer pedals are very difficult and involved to repair and I've been saying for years that anyone buying a pedal should try to buy new to get the warranty.

Comment

Working...
                              X