Battery lead whatnot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery lead whatnot.

Hi chaps, simple question: what is a good quality pedal battery lead thingy? I mean the black/ red wires you snap a 9v battery into.

The one in my boss pedal for eg.. great quality. One in my diy RAT pedal is cheap junk & breaks. Need a new decent one.

Thanks, SC

Battery snaps.

Good luck, most Chinese manf stuff are really thin wire. The only good ones i got were from one of those electronics surplus outfits on the web.

Comment

https://www.musikding.de/9V-battery-...shape-enclosed

https://www.uk-electronic.de/onlines...ip&language=en
      Last edited by Helmholtz; 05-16-2022, 03:54 PM.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I haven't found a decent Chinese 9v snap. Also, the last ones I ordered from Tayda (two different types) had really thin/few cores that break easily.

The RS ones are Taiwanese and better quality; https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/battery-contacts/0489021

Comment

Battery snaps.. thanks I'd never heard of this term.

So it's just china junk then, I mean I was hoping there'd be an ebay one known to be decent, as I don't have a mouser or RS account.

I've looked for boss ones, but n/a.

Thanks SC

Comment

These give me a good idea though of what to look for.. its the hard plastic bit that's important Ithink.

You have so much more choice in germany! Lucky you.

Thanks SC

Comment

Yes, the hard plastic ones look pretty durable.
              There used to be 'heavy duty' snaps available that used material similar to the gray fiber eyelet board stuff. They were durable and high quality. I don't see them anywhere. If anyone has a link please post.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Just remembered , you can take apart a dead 9v and make your own.
                Here's some on Amazon with the hard plastic.
                https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Conne.../dp/B07TRKYZCH

Comment

Keystone makes very nice 9V snaps including several molded plastic varieties, their premium is 2243, $1.28 at Mouser.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Keystone 2243.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	960539Click image for larger version

Name:	Keystone 1290-66.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	960540
                  and they have several vinyl wrapped types too. They also have all steel holder with built in contacts, that are great for guitar cavities etc.

Comment

We do have this sub forum for guitar effects but I know there are forum and supply sites dedicated to building pedals. There may be a lot more to learn there than here.?. Though I think tedmich provided a good suggestion.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      We do have this sub forum for guitar effects but I know there are forum and supply sites dedicated to building pedals. There may be a lot more to learn there than here.?. Though I think tedmich provided a good suggestion.
                      Hi Chuck, doubt I need any better info than here tbh. Tedmich's post is fantastic- thanks btw- can't believe all that spec data, is for a $1.28 "premium" snap whatnot.

Great help thanks y'all. Now I know what to look for/ should find a durable one ok even if ebay.

SC

Comment

+1 on recycling battery contacts from dead 9V batteries.
                        The "clip" is always fine, *you* solder thicker wire as needed and then wrap in a piece of sponge or Tolex.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                          +1 on recycling battery contacts from dead 9V batteries.
                          The "clip" is always fine, *you* solder thicker wire as needed and then wrap in a piece of sponge or Tolex.
                          Hi there JMF.. I've taken your lead & tried this idea. Seems to be a good plan, there's an ideal hard placcy end bit I cut out & sanded down. I can't quite understand the sponge or tolex but that's ok, done well enough.. I think.

So I'll see how I go. Terrific ideas just on this tiny subject. Impressive.

Thanks y'all. SC

Comment

My build skills FAR outweigh my knowledge.. I think you might agree:

Thx SC Click image for larger version

Name:	F0572D9A-50FB-49DA-97AC-CC28406F08DE.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	960693

Comment

Good stuff. Now when you have the battery installed, the 2 connections there will still be exposed. If they touch the case they will short out the battery. That is where the foam (sponge) or tolex that Juan mentioned comes in. You just wrap it around the battery and clip to insulate it from touching anything.
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                              X