Noise problem with effects board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise problem with effects board

I play through a single coil guitar, which is well shielded, and when I plug directly into my amp, is pretty quiet. When I use my effects board, I get a very loud hum. I have tried to isolate the offending pedal, but it does it with all of them, leading me to believe it may be the power supply creating a ground loop. I have a Godlyke 9 volt power supply plugged into the same outlet as the amp, (which is really the only practical option for me at most places I play) first pedal is an ISP Decimator>Peterson strobostomp>Keeley Compressor>Barber Small Fry>amp. Do you think it is a ground loop problem and how can I fix it? Will one of those Ebtech HumX's work for this?

My buddy just had a similar problem with his pedal board. Hum. Ick.

Like you, we tried plugging the guitar straight into the amp. It sounded fine...no hum. During this test, the pedal board was NOT plugged into the wall. It was completely unpowered.

Then, with the guitar still plugged straight into the amp, all we did was plug the pedal board into the wall. Again, the guitar was NOT going through the pedal board. All we did was put power to the pedals. All of a sudden, the hum started. And, it was wicked strong hum.

How could this happen without the guitar ever going into the pedals? I guessed that the wall-wart power supply to the pedal board had crapped out and was either radiating tons of noise, or was injecting tons of noise back onto the power line. Weird.

So, he swapped out the wall wart for a new one and all his hum went away. Problem solved.

Chip

Comment

I gather that the Decimator, and/or Strobostomp, have a digital core. That is, there is a clock in there somewhere putting an intelligent chop through its paces. Try removing the Decimator and Strobostomp from the chain, leaving only the Compressor and Small Fry powered by the Godlyke PSU, and tell us what changes.

Comment

Working...
      X