pedal power question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pedal power question

How forgiving are typical pedals such as a boss chorus for example when it comes to slightly higher voltages? I have some 9v rechargables batteries that charge up to 11.4 v. (yes, i DID say 11.4 !) Once put in a pedal they tend to stay in the high 10v range for quite a while. So i'm wondering whether the pedal will regulate it down to the required 9v range and if not whether it would have any negative effects on the tone. So far i don't notice past any probable placebo effect but wonder what u 'lectronic gurus say.

Whether the pedal is regulated or not, I seriously doubt there are any components in a typical guitar pedal that can't withstand a couple extra volts.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I realize that it won't hurt it, but i'm wondering if it will affect the tone. It's digital if thats important.

Comment

A schematic would help. If it's digital, it's fairly likely that 5V and/or 3.3V is already well regulated and, since it would be so, supplies and tone would remain the same despite the extra voltage supplied. Again, without a schematic that's a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess).

Comment

none available far as i know but it's said to be a boss CE-3 clone (edit: oops....CH-1 clone) so maybe i can find that and post it.

Comment

CMOS doesn't like anything higher than 15v, while opamps are usually good to +/-15v, if not more. Many digital chips require 5v, but if the power jack is for 9v, there will be onboard regulation to drop whatever you feed the pedal down to 5v. Electrolytic caps will have a voltage rating, that should ideally be at least 50% higher than the voltage they might see. So a 16v rating will be fine for 9v, but a bit risky for 12v, and contraindicated for 15v. Fortunately, contemporary electros are small and the price differential between a 16v and a 35v rated unit is negligible, so if the pedal is less than 20 years old, there's a very high likelihood that all components will be AOK with 12-15v. Whether that improves the performance of the pedal in any audible way is a whole other matter.

Comment

I don't expect it to improve the tone, just wondering if it could be detrimental to the tone. But from what u say i guess it's not an issue. Thanks.

Comment

BTW, what 9V batteries are you using that charge to 11.4V?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  BTW, what 9V batteries are you using that charge to 11.4V?
                  Powerex. I think they have a few different ones but these say 9.6v actual but they measure 11.4v after a full charge then drop to high 10's in the pedal. https://www.amazon.com/Powerex-Self-...23997003&psc=1

Comment

I'm voting for : ZERO EFFECT ON TONE

you could of course build a regulated linear supply and test this but without blinding you'd likely fool yourself..."definitely 10.325VDC is magical!"

Comment

With 'clean' pedals (digital and analogue) I haven't noticed any difference in tone with slightly higher or lower voltages than their nominally rated 9v. With any analogue distortions though, the voltage can alter the sound a fair bit and there was a trend a few years back on running 9v pedals on 18v. I used to build little voltage doublers for individual pedals until demand dried up. Some manufacturers build pedals with this in mind, otherwise the board has to be checked for component rating. The semiconductors and resistors are usually OK - mainly cap ratings to consider.

Comment

I actually have noticed a difference in tone in only one pedal I've owned, and sadly no longer have because some dirty thief that should be peeled stole it. It was an early 80's RAT. It always sounded best with fresh batteries. And FWIW I once read that Eric Johnson is very particular about having fresh batteries in one of his dirt boxes for the same reason. I don't think this applies to all pedals because I never heard any difference in my DS-1. For preamp based pedals like dirt boxes I wouldn't expect slightly higher voltages to be detrimental. Lower voltages maybe.
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I heard Eric Johnson even has preference for BRAND of battery.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                            I heard Eric Johnson even has preference for BRAND of battery.
                            and famously that brass screws in the pedal back sounded best!

dying battery mods are a real thing with the pedal set; there are many linear supplies sold as capable of tweaking +/- 3-5 VDC around the usual 9V!

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                              ...and famously that brass screws in the pedal back sounded best!
                              Well Eric's input on the matter seems to be losing credibility

"Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                              X