Boss BR-1180 No Power on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss BR-1180 No Power on

No power on, anyone have any experience with these?

I did just take one of those apart to clean it up for my nephew. The main issues are with the hard drive failing and it's useless at that point. I changed the drive on it at one point and it fixed it again. All the little momentary buttons are typical dirty and may not work at all. But when you say "power on" I assume we are talking the light on the house coming on. In that case make sure it's the correct power supply.

Edit: Oh those units sound horrible when recording and monitoring. I don't think they are properly shielded and you really have to find a good place to keep the buzz down.
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
      I did just take one of those apart to clean it up for my nephew. The main issues are with the hard drive failing and it's useless at that point. I changed the drive on it at one point and it fixed it again. All the little momentary buttons are typical dirty and may not work at all. But when you say "power on" I assume we are talking the light on the house coming on. In that case make sure it's the correct power supply.

Edit: Oh those units sound horrible when recording and monitoring. I don't think they are properly shielded and you really have to find a good place to keep the buzz down.
      That's correct, light not coming on, I'm getting 12vdc I believe I remember that when I checked the power supply. Haven't opened unit up yet. Plugged the adapter into wall and used DMM on other end of adapter cord.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sugeda View Post
          Appreciate it.

Comment

Thanks again Sugeda!! Personally I would start at the most simple approach. Clean. I would start by cleaning the momentary on/off switch. Wouldn’t it be funny if that was all it was to get it to turn on. With schematic it sure helps going further ahead.
            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
              Thanks again Sugeda!! Personally I would start at the most simple approach. Clean. I would start by cleaning the momentary on/off switch. Wouldn’t it be funny if that was all it was to get it to turn on. With schematic it sure helps going further ahead.
              Sprayed contact cleaner on power switch with unit not opened up yet and get a flicker of the screen and lights on the two(2) sens on mic phantom input.

Comment

Photos of power switch. This boss unit is a 2004 made in Japan. Click image for larger version

Name:	16810603856586477346812567081068.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	980432 Click image for larger version

Name:	16810604828746213522263356466731.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	980433

Comment

Power switch is momentary, so if you see any action at all when you press it (display flicker), it's probably ok.

Pg.26 of manual pdf shows some things that should be running whenever the power supply is connected, even when unit is turned off. Check the following:
                  IC48, 78M09 regulator, 9V at pin3.
                  IC22, M62270GP converter, 3.3V at pin1, also 3.3V at D55 cathode.
                  IC49, 29M33 regulator, 3.3V at pin3.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                    Power switch is momentary, so if you see any action at all when you press it (display flicker), it's probably ok.

Pg.26 of manual pdf shows some things that should be running whenever the power supply is connected, even when unit is turned off. Check the following:
                    IC48, 78M09 regulator, 9V at pin3.
                    IC22, M62270GP converter, 3.3V at pin1, also 3.3V at D55 cathode.
                    IC49, 29M33 regulator, 3.3V at pin3.
                    IC48 pin3(9V)
                    IC22 pin1(3.3V)
                    D55 cathode (3.3V)
                    IC49 pin3(3.3V)

Comment

Check DC volts at Q31A, pins 7/8. Then press power button and re-check.
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Q31 pin7(0.0mv)
                        Q31 pin8(0.0mv)
                        Pin 7/8 goes to about (2V) with power button pushed then runs slowly back down to (0.0mv).

Comment

Originally posted by ca7922303 View Post
                          Pin 7/8 goes to about (2V) with power button pushed then runs slowly back down to (0.0mv).
                          Now do the same test at Q31A pin2, and Q33 pin1.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                            Now do the same test at Q31A pin2, and Q33 pin1.
                            Q31 pin2(9v)
                            Q31 pin2 pushing power switch blinks to (6v)then back to (9V)
                            Q33 pin1 does the same as Q31 pin2, blinks (6v), then back to (9v).

Comment

Originally posted by ca7922303 View Post
                              Q33 pin1 does the same as Q31 pin2, blinks (6v), then back to (9v).
                              I think you are checking pin3, we need to know pin1.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dtc114eua.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	980900

Comment

Working...
                              X