Guitar Preamp Current Draw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greg Robinson View Post
    Are you absolutely certain the owner knows to unplug the guitar *at the guitar end of the cable* between uses? I've had a couple of customers who didn't realise unplugging at the amp end was not equivalent...

Ha, you never know!
    Good idea, I'll let him know just to be sure.

I mentioned that it was confirmed by the guitar tech, but you never know.

Comment

The majority of onboard preamps are going to have current draws in the single digits, and occasionally in the low double digits.. There are two reasons: 1) the designs are generally simple enough that current requirements are minimal, and 2) there is good reason to avoid having to unscrew things or otherwise "get in there" to change a battery. Some guitars are smartly designed and have battery-drawer inserts which make changing batteries easy. That said, I've had the same 9v in my Parker guitar for several years, and everything fires up just fine when I plug in. Granted, I'm not playing it much of late, but batteries still get old even when unused. So expedited decline of a battery in a guitar - other than one with onboard FX - suggests a short somewhere that is draining the battery.

Comment

Another problematic type is where you have an active/passive switch, but the preamp is not disconnected in passive mode. Some of the Marcus Miller basses are like this. Never use the preamp but kill two 9Volt batts. by leaving the cord plugged in.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Still waiting on some pictures or some kind of model number. A Google search for "Epiphone Guitar Preamp" brings up lots of possibilities. How about number and type of pots ?
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

It's an Epiphone Electra Six band eq with volume control and anti feedback switch.
            two dual opamps and a black square of plastic covering part of the pc board.
            Board doesn't want to come out, usually there are screws under the plastic label, but I don't feel any.

It's mounted back in the guitar right now for testing and after about ten hours battery voltage is down to about 8v.

Comment

Just checking.... is this an "Epiphone" or is it an "Epiphonic" preamp?
              Last edited by TomCarlos; 04-13-2023, 03:50 AM.
              It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

From the looks of the Reverb listings, some of them are made by Shadow.
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
                  Just checking.... is this an "Epiphone" or is it an "Epiphonic" preamp?
                  Epiphone guitar Preamp labeled Electra.

Comment

Does it look like this one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Elektar.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	980676

Comment

Yeah, that's the one

Comment

Ok... so G1 was correct.... it is made by "Shadow."

Spelling and proper ID matter!!

So we now know this is the "Shadow Elektar Epiphonic Six Preamp."

Just for the heck of it, I sent an email to Shadow to see if they have a schematic.

Comment

Cool, thanks

Comment

After another six hours of being on, battery voltage is still at 8v fwiw.

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
                              Spelling and proper ID matter!!

So we now know this is the "Shadow Elektar Epiphonic Six Preamp."
                              The 'k' in Elektar is a typo in the reverb listing. The photo shows it is spelled with a 'c'.

Comment

Working...
                              X