Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro FZ-1B Fuzz "Blend" Issue

Hi all,

My CMI (aka Chicago Musical Instruments aka Gibson) Maestro FZ-1B has a frustrating issue--regardless of how the unit is set, the clean, unaffected sound is just as loud as the fuzz sound. So, I get super clean and fuzz right on top of each other. Not a great tone!

Any thoughts on what might be the issue?

Many thanks in advance.

First you would need to know if it's version 1 or 2. Schematics are on pg.14 and 15 of attached pdf.
    (2 transistors vs 4)
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Page 14 See bottom pin of R10 (according to the schematic)

Comment

Thank you for the responses and schematics. Looks like I've got V.1.

I'm now reading that V.1 maybe just doesn't have a traditional fuzz type sound?

https://sites.google.com/site/davidm...stro-fuzz-tone

FZ-1B(V1)

"...This version does not have a strong fuzz tone like the previous and following designs. If looking for that signature "Fuzz Tone sound," do not look to the FZ-1B. The sound is distinctly more overdrive, but the forced mix of clean (and 180 deg out-of-phase) signal via R4/C3 really confuses things.."

Comment

you need a Woolly Mammoth

Comment

I think you could disable the clean and change the switch to a bypass (or use A/B pedal).
            But not sure on the value of the pedal, might be better to leave it alone and get what you need from something else.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Probably best to leave it unmodified!

Comment

Had a friend put a meter on the electronics of the pedal. Most values seem within range, but the 47uf 50v capacitor at C4 (see attached schematic & pic) is not responding (or "out of limit.")

Not sure what effect this might have on the sound?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	MAESTRO FZ-1B V1 SCHEMATIC.png
Views:	111
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	990796 Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit board.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	823.8 KB
ID:	990799
                Attached Files

Comment

Well, if it's bad, replace it and see. If that cap were bad, you'd have less gain in that stage.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I've had the pedal for about 20 years and haven't touched the electronics since I assumed they were original. Does swapping out the cap have a big impact on resale value?

Comment

IMO: There's nothing special about a defective electrolytic cap. If anything, it should increase the value of the unit because the circuit will be working properly.

Comment

Makes a lot of sense to me, thanks! Looking forward to hearing what it sounds like after the swap.

Comment

There are only 3 electrolytics on that board. If you are ordering A cap, I'd just order 3 and replace them all given the age of this unit. If one is bad, the other 2 are probably not far behind.

Comment

My thoughts exactly. Thanks again.

Comment

I had/have an FZ-1S ("had" because it was an original board that disappeared when loaned out, "have" because I built a clone to replace it). The dual-ganged Balance control on the FZ-1S is reverse-wired such that turning the control reduces the volume level of the one while increasing the other. Maestro was relatively unique in providing this feature, of being able to blend in clean with dirty. We tended not to see it again, or at least very often, until Voodoo Labs introduced the Sparkle Drive, which combined a blendable overdrive (rather than fuzz), in tandem with clean.

The version 1 FZ-1B seems to be headed in the direction of this blend aspect. Where it differs from the version 2 and 1S is that the clean level is combined at a constant level, and the fuzz signal is either increased far above clean level, or dialed back for just a touch of hair. Where the 1S let one adjust the balance without affecting the output level, the 1B requires one to dial back the output volume if the want to have more fuzz than clean or turn the volume up a but if you wanted mostly clean with a smidgen of hair for solos. The actual fuzz tone might be different in ways that a person might prefer or not, but in terms of usable design, I think the 1S is an improvement.

And yes, a bum 47uf cap will impair the gain intended for that stage, and make it near impossible for the fuzz level to compete with clean. Replacing it should not negatively affect the resale value nearly as much as NOT replacing it. That said, hang onto the original cap, and tape it to the inside of the enclosure for anyone who is desperate for the original cap.

Comment

Working...
                              X