Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uni-Vibe - Grounding mains cable to chassis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished putting this together, earth securely connected to the chassis. Works great, no hum or other noise issues!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0718.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	994313

Comment

Nicy!

Comment

That looks like crap!

"Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

FWIW (and I'm not trying to be a critical ass): Make sure you have a good ground connection there. I'd be slightly worried that the painted chassis is preventing a good ground. If you haven't, I'd scrape off some of the paint under that ground screw/transformer mount. It's also recommended that you use a separate bolt/chassis connection for ground and not a transformer mounting bolt. That said, I do see manufacturers use transformer bolts for ground quite often. At any rate, at least make sure the ground is good and not obstructed by paint.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            I'd be slightly worried that the painted chassis is preventing a good ground. If you haven't, I'd scrape off some of the paint under that ground screw/transformer mount.
            clarisso11 actually did acknowledge the non conductive painted chassis in the opening post. Still, this is a good observation of the circumstances. The pic certainly doesn't look to have any scratchy marks near or around any boltings.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Also, a shared transformer bolt is probably the worst place to worst place to ground a piece of equipment. All transformers vibrate due to magnetostriction; some more than others. If there's a DC component on the mains line, it will be even worse. Not trying to be overly critical. The wiring looks great otherwise. But best practices would have the earth connection get a designated nut and bolt that is not shared with any other connection.
              If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Thanks all for the input, I've just installed a dedicated ground connection, paint scraped off!
                Last edited by clarisso11; 03-02-2024, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X